• Welcome to Windows10Forum.com, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers. Using this forum is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Click here to Register a free account now and JOIN the discussion!

Hi ! @Nova Vishy I have just reread your thread. Here's a great blog by @adacosta to prepare your PC before upgrading. Lots of good stuff in this blog! Some information about sfc /scannow and DISM;)

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/10-things-check-before-installing-windows-10/

http://windows10forum.com/blogs/entry/3-how-to-ensure-a-smooth-upgrade-to-windows-10-anniversary-update/?page=2#comment-57

Edited by holdum333
Added another link!

All good ideas and I would add "chkdsk /r" also from an elevated cmd prompt also as you did sfc /scannow.

The one thing I wonder about is to make a "restore point" because it is my understanding a restore points do not work after an OS Upgrade.

@Rich-M yeah restore points get deleted every time I install the update lol also when ever I do install the update , the UAC notifications that pops up in order to allow administrative privileges gets stuck when the screen dims with no option box appearing and this prevents me from doing almost anything so I end up reverting to the previous build.

Edited by Nova Vishy

Hi there! Not sure how we got to restore points, however it is my understanding that they get turned off by default when you upgrade to w10. For what reason, I don't know, but they have to be turned on after upgrading! Why your UAC gets stuck when using administration privileges I don't have a clue. I think you need to get your OS backed up and use the MCT flash to upgrade to the Anniversary addition! You're having to many weird things going on. If you can't run sfc /scannow and DISM from elevated CMD, there is a major problem with your OS and it could be malware! What happens if you turn UAC off?

Have you ran any malware scanners like Malwarebyes??Adwcleaner?

http://windows10forum.com/topic/394-how-i-get-rid-od-malware-and-more/

Edited by holdum333

16 minutes ago, holdum333 said:

"Hi there! Not sure how we got to restore points, however it is my understanding that they get turned off by default when you upgrade."

My fault I again misread something in one of the threads you suggested...it suggested making an image file and I misread it as restore points, my bad!

42 minutes ago, Rich-M said:

My fault I again misread something in one of the threads you suggested...it suggested making an image file and I misread it as restore points, my bad!

Not a problem @Rich-M  Thanks for helping! My thinking is if the Poster can't get to a elevated CMD, there's a major problem. It would really help if the file system could be repaired with sfc /scannow and DISM before creating a image. They both have to be ran with Admin rights.  Corrupted system files could also cause a problem for Macrium Reflect. I guess we'll have to wait for @Nova Vishy to reply! The way I understand this, the OP's PC gets stuck when UAC pops up and that's not a good thing! Sounding a little like malware to me!

PS Wish I had the computer in front of me. That would help a lot!xDIt's tough trouble shooting this way! I see you are a Sr. Contributor already. Congrads on that! I use to be a Windows10 Pro but got demoted.:ph34r:oops! Thanks for helping @Rich-M Team work is always good IMHO!

Edited by holdum333

Just for clarification @holdum333 @Rich-M

, i'll tell you all the symptoms my cpu has had:

Whenever the computer is turned on and logged into, the start menu works fine until you click on any Microsoft app (app store apps, settings, cortana, internet explorer (edge), etc.). microsoft apps do not open at all, then the start menu doesn't open at all. downloaded videos do not play, even in VLC. 3rd party programs like Overwatch ( for example) that require connection to their companies server (Blizzard) are unable to connect or update. if the computer enters sleep mode, upon being re-awaken all you would see is a black screen with the mouse cursor and no way to do anything. 

i can access the administrative command prompt with no problem however, Sfc /scannow doesn't find any errors, the three DISM commands doesn't find anything wrong, chkdsk, found 4 bad sectors, but repaired them. Creating/ re-installing app packages in powershell doesn't work. trying to create a new user with admin privileges doesn't work. I have an ASUS G750jm and I am keen about preventing viruses from entering my computer, I use spybot for web security and microsoft defender for system viruses, i don't have any other 3rd party virus scanning software because i know sometimes it interferes with programs running if microsoft defender is being used as well so i doubt its a virus but i might have missed something.

13 hours ago, holdum333 said:

The way I understand this, the OP's PC gets stuck when UAC pops up and that's not a good thing! Sounding a little like malware to me!

this only happens when ever i reinstall the anniversary update, so I reverted back to the 1511 build and the UAC option notification appears as normal with no freezing.

Hi @Nova Vishy 4 bad sectors is not a good sign even if they were repaired. I would be creating a back up image real soon. Once you start finding bad sectors, the hard drive is on it's way out! You have never explained how you're installing the anniversary update. My thoughts at the moment is you might be getting a corrupt  install of the anniversary update. How are you reverting back to 1511? My real concern is the bad sectors. You really need to get a image created with Macrium! I would create a new MCT . I recommend using a PNY flash. I have several and they never let me down. I'm not familiar with spybot! Are you saying that your PC works fine until you update to the anniversary? Really need to know how you're updating to the anniversary!

Go here and create a MCT flash!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

As Holdum says 4 bad sectors, time to replace the hard drive. You can keep that one as a spare or make it into a usb external drive if you like,

but booting the computer requires a lot more out of a hard drive and this one is going to let you down real soon most likely.

my computer was workin fine untill i updated to the anniversary build on august 11th and now even if i revert to previous build the problems remain. i already created a flash drive with the windows 10 installation straight from the microsoft website so I don't see how the installation could be corrupted.

17 minutes ago, Rich-M said:

As Holdum says 4 bad sectors, time to replace the hard drive. You can keep that one as a spare or make it into a usb external drive if you like,

but booting the computer requires a lot more out of a hard drive and this one is going to let you down real soon most likely.

thats so weird to me because this laptop is about 2 years old and there were no bad sectors prior to installing the update. but i'll look into a new hard drive

correction its 4kb in bad sector

Edited by Nova Vishy

Hi I agree with Rich. Time to create a back up image or better yet clone your hard drive before you lose every thing!

PS installing the update might have had some thing to do with causing the bad sectors. I'm not sure about that, but @Rich-M might have a comment about that. I wouldn't wait too long on replacing your hard drive!;)

Edited by holdum333

Heya @Nova Vishy Do you have any updates for us. I've been wondering how things are going for you! I sure wish you would have made back up images. That would have made this whole issue a lot simpler. I keep preaching "back up your OS regularly" but very few users listen to me. If my hard drive died tonight, I could replace the drive with a brand new one and be back up and running  exactly like I was the day I created the image. That makes me feel very confident and fearless. I just wish everyone could feel this way.

Keep us updated when you have time! If you have questions, just ask and I'll try my best to answer them!

6 minutes ago, ACE said:

Try Aomei Backupper.

So much easier to use and faster than Macrium Reflect.

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

Heya @ACE welcome to the forum! I have heard that before about Aomei. I started out with Macrium Reflect a long time ago. So that's what I'm familiar with.

Here's my thoughts. Find a image program that you're confident in, and create back up images regularly. It will make your life so much less stressful .

Thank you for your post my friend and welcome to the forum. I hope you will become a regular here!;)