• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

How to use the Windows Reliability Tool

"When it comes to hidden gems in Windows, nothing beats the Reliability monitor tool, hidden behind a link inside of another tool that you don’t use either. Why Microsoft doesn’t shine more light on this really useful troubleshooting tool, we’ll never know.

Reliability Monitor tracks the history of your computer — any time an application crashes, hangs, or Windows gives you a blue screen of death. It also tracks other important events, like when software is installed, or Windows Updates loads a new patch." HTG

Mine doesn't look to good, but I know what happened!

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/windows-7-reliability-history-tool-diagnose-issues/

Capture52.JPG

Edited by holdum333

• 1 month later...

Heya! Here's a update on my Reliability Monitor. I seem to be doing much better with my Computer performance. My thinking is that MS is doing a great job with the W10 Updates and that's helping. What do think think?? I think that W10 will be the best OS that MS ever built! I'm a big fan of W10 at this moment. That may change in the future. LMAO. You don't have to use Reliability Monitor; but IMHO, you're missing out on a great MS tool! Heya  @Steve K.

Would really like to hear your comments!;)

Capture25.JPG

Hi There! I keep a close look on my Reliability Monitor! I haven't had any errors in 14 days. When I do get a error, I report it to MS. IMHO this helps MS make W10 a better OS with updates and patches. My performance has gotten much better then it use to be, and my thoughts are that sending my errors to MS has helped make a difference. Any way that's what I believe and I'm going to keep sending the error reports to MS. What are your thoughts? Do you use this windows tool to help you keep your PC maintained and running. Might want to give your Reliability Monitor a look  and see what's going on with your PC.;)

You may only get the error one time and if that is the case, you don't need to worry about it. However if it persists, you might want to see why you're getting the error! Here's a IE error I got . It was a one time error and so I'm not concerned.;)

Can you beat my 14 day record of 0 errors?? Show me!

Capture25.JPG

Capture26.JPG

Heya @Vadim Thanks for your reply. My system is running just fine also, but I still like to keep a eye on it.

Please share a screen shot of your Reliability Monitor. I would like to see how yours compares to mine!;) I'll be posting a screen shot soon that shows a perfect 10. I'll have to brag about that when it happens!xD

PS Thanks for your post. The only one so far on this thread!;)

Here you go as was promised, I'll have a perfect ten tomorrow . IMHO W10 is getting more stable every day and this graft is prof of that. I'm very happy with W10 and my thinking is it will get even better. The Reliability Monitor has a lot of interesting things going on and I think it can be a great tool for trouble shooting and maintaining your PC. Give it a look once in awhile. It doesn't cost any thing.xD. I double dog dare you to attach your Reliability Monitor graft and brag about your rig!;) Here's what HTG has to say about this windows tool and I agree! It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks, but I keep trying!;)

"When it comes to hidden gems in Windows, nothing beats the Reliability monitor tool, hidden behind a link inside of another tool that you don’t use either. Why Microsoft doesn’t shine more light on this really useful troubleshooting tool, we’ll never know.

Reliability Monitor tracks the history of your computer — any time an application crashes, hangs, or Windows gives you a blue screen of death. It also tracks other important events, like when software is installed, or Windows Updates loads a new patch."

Capture25.JPG

Windows Explorer can stop for a number of reasons. I want to find out why?

Ran CHKDSK /r /f   Found an issue with the HDD looking at the Log.

Said (repairing the Security File Record Segment)

Will now wait to see if Windows Explorer crashes again.

• Upvote 1

Hi @ACE I'll be watching this my friend. Here's my question! Isn't  Windows Explorer now called File Explorer? Why are we getting Windows Explorer errors.

That's one reason I didn't pay much attention to the error. My Reliability log cleared after the anniversary update, so I'm starting out new.

I'm sure you researched (repairing the Security File Record Segment)  It will be very interesting to see if Windows Explorer crashes again.

Very interesting reply. I think I'll run a chkdsk and see what I get!

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms832828.aspx

Here's my log. My HP printer failed after the anniversary up date and I had to reinstall it. I also had to reinstall my internet adapter after the upgrade. I think that's all so far. I'm still checking things out! It's looking pretty good so far! Oh yea and I had to disable Bluetooth!:D

Capture25.JPG

Edited by holdum333

You can do a net search to see the differences between the two.

Handy Hint.

Instead of searching for your CHKDSK Log, use Power Shell and it puts the log report straight on your Desktop.

In your Search box Type Powershell.exe and press Enter.

In the command prompt Admin box that shows copy and paste this.

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

• Upvote 1

Sorry! Here's Information from Event Viewer! I think I'm good and I'm going to let it rest. Thanks for your help my friend. I learned some new things tonight! I didn't think it was necessary to run the /r /f unless you found some bad sectors. I'm do a little more research on that.

Thanks! ACE

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Chkdsk
Date:          8/27/2016 10:24:09 PM
Event ID:      26212
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Gary-PC
Description:
Chkdsk was executed in read-only mode on a volume snapshot.  

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is TI106164W0D.

WARNING!  /F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

WARNING!  /C parameter specified.
Your drive may still be corrupt even after running CHKDSK.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

324864 file records processed.                                                        

File verification completed.

11402 large file records processed.                                   

0 bad file records processed.                                     

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

446194 index entries processed.                                                       

Index verification completed.

0 unindexed files scanned.                                        

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.                    

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.

60666 data files processed.                                           

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...

37631872 USN bytes processed.                                                           

Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

472030012 KB total disk space.
  50534620 KB in 252054 files.
    183340 KB in 60667 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    449120 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 420862932 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 118007503 total allocation units on disk.
 105215733 allocation units available on disk.

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Chkdsk" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">26212</EventID>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-28T03:24:09.526931300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>761</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Gary-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is TI106164W0D.

WARNING!  /F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

WARNING!  /C parameter specified.
Your drive may still be corrupt even after running CHKDSK.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

324864 file records processed.                                                        

File verification completed.

11402 large file records processed.                                   

0 bad file records processed.                                     

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

446194 index entries processed.                                                       

Index verification completed.

0 unindexed files scanned.                                        

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.                    

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.

60666 data files processed.                                           

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...

37631872 USN bytes processed.                                                           

Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

472030012 KB total disk space.
  50534620 KB in 252054 files.
    183340 KB in 60667 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    449120 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 420862932 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 118007503 total allocation units on disk.
 105215733 allocation units available on disk.
</Data>
    <Binary>00F50400FEC40400374D0900000000002C030000890000000000000000000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>