• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

How to Disable Keyboard Shortcut Underlines around Text

awaixjvd

HI

I wanted to know the solution to something strange. There is a selection area over almost all windows panels. I have attached the screenshots with this thread. I see it whenever i click on the relevant icons on taskbar and there is always this white rectangular selection area, basically what the narrator is supposed to read. But i haven't turned on the narrator at all and it is "OFF" in settings panel. Then why there is this selection area around the texts?

2017-09-28 00 18 27.jpg

2017-09-28 00 18 32.jpg

2017-09-28 00 18 38.jpg

16 hours ago, Steve K. said:

That is really odd. I would turn on Narration and off again and also look in accessibility options and see if something is enabled in there. Let me know what you find. that's a really odd one.

Also - do you have a Touch monitor/screen? 

-S

I have tried turning on the narrator and then turning it off again, but it doesn't work. Those boxes around texts doesn't go off. And also i don't have touch enabled screen. If i had touch enabled screen, this would be very understandable that it is giving me touch areas which windows recognizes as font, but no i don't have touch screen.

This thing is really strange for me and i don't know which feature is using it and how to turn it off. It is from day first of windows 10 installation.

I mostly see this when I setup Windows 10 in a virtual machine before I install the additions. Are you using the tab key when this happens? Also, is your graphics adapter updated?

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot

Scroll down then click Keyboard

Click Run the troubleshooter

When complete restart and see if it stops happening.

If it doesn't disconnect the keyboard, restart then reconnect it.

15 hours ago, andre said:

I mostly see this when I setup Windows 10 in a virtual machine before I install the additions. Are you using the tab key when this happens? Also, is your graphics adapter updated?

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot

Scroll down then click Keyboard

Click Run the troubleshooter

When complete restart and see if it stops happening.

If it doesn't disconnect the keyboard, restart then reconnect it.

Hi

Let me explain a bit more in details. First of all i don't have touch screen, its a laptop with Core i3, 4gb ram and i made sure before installing the windows 10 that everything is updated. I have all latest drives for graphics and others installed, along with latest java and flash and all the software installed are also being used in latest versions. So, there is nothing obsolete being used.

This thing for which i wrote, is from the very first day so i am sure this is some sort of feature of windows and not due to some other installed program. I have certain things in mind which might be causing it. I am not sure, i am just sharing my thoughts:

1. It might be touch pad, which is reading the default touch area.
2. It might be due to narrator, but i have tried turning it on and then off (by default it was off).
3. Some software which might be reading windows fonts or even touch-perspective area that this is the point to click.

If it is some windows feature, then apart from narrator, what else it could be? Which software might be reading text. I hope someone can point me out on this.

Hi

I found the reason to this. There is an option to highlight the links in windows 10 settings. I have attached the screenshot. Before that option was on and windows was showing me that aforementioned box but now after turning this off, it is not there anymore.

Capture.JPG

Archived