• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

PC / Mac Cloud Backup - Crashplan vs. backblaze

ShockerSH

Over the last few years I've been a loyal Crashplan customer. It does the job. The client can be a bit think (Java based I think) but other than that, it gets the job done.

Anyone out there have any experience with Backblaze? Other that reading their quarterly HD reports (Latest), I've never played around with the service.

Anyone have any feedback? Experience with them vs. Crashplan?

Thnx!

Shocker

17 minutes ago, Steve said:

Crashplan user for YEARS. I love it. I backup all my PC's at home to a single box (FREE), then backup that box to the Crashplan cloud. No complaints. If you end up giving Backblaze a shot, let us know how it ends up.

Hi Steve! Please explain (FREE box) I think you mean a external drive. I just lost a seagate 1TB external yesterday. I'm not a happy camper, but I had the most important data on another external drive, so no worries. I'm a little down on seagate at this moment. Think I'll try a WD

Good to see some action here on the forum. I was hoping for that!

Can someone tell me why my posts are double spacing?

Thanks!

Edited by holdum333
spelling

3 minutes ago, holdum333 said:

Hi Steve! Please explain (FREE box) I think you mean a external drive.

Yeah you bet.

So the way Crashplan works is, it has a FREE version and a PAID version.

The FREE Version allows you to use the Backup Software to backup your Computer to either another hard drive (external or even another internal drive) OR, another computer running Crashplan. So, in my example, I have a Laptop in my Kitchen the kids use. They do play/school work on it. The drive is about 256GB. I use the free version of Crashplan on it and I back it up to my Tower PC I have in the garage which is also running Crashplan (Old HP running a pair of 3TB External Drives). I also have an MB Air which I have Crashplan running on. It also backs up to my box in the Garage.

Now, on my Garage PC, I have the PAID version of Crashplan. This allows me to Backup all the DATA from all my other systems up into the Crashplan Cloud. Crashplan allows for unlimited storage so, it's the perfect setup. I'm backed up fully on all systems.

Make sense?

8 minutes ago, holdum333 said:

Hi! I don't think I need a off line back up program, but I might give it a look. Why should I use one is my question?

Well, this is why I backup outside of my home.

1. Fire
  2. HW Failure (on device I'm using as a backup drive). It's happened.
  3. Theft
  4. Oops.... -- Crashplan allows for unlimited revisions of files and keeps deleted files
  5. Access data anywhere
  6. Peace of mind

Hi Steve! Thanks! I think I understand! I'm just a simple old country boy and I live in a retirement center in a small cottage. Not much room. I just run my old Toshiba laptop and a HP printer. I'm thinking Macrium Reflect would do all that also! I think you have it well covered my friend. Thanks Steve!

Great forum my friend! Thanks I'm really enjoying and learning some great stuff here.

On 6/28/2016 at 11:44 PM, holdum333 said:

I'm thinking Macrium Reflect would do all that also!

So how does that work? Are you backing up to an external hard drive or does it go offsite (Cloud based)?

On 6/28/2016 at 11:44 PM, holdum333 said:

Great forum my friend! Thanks I'm really enjoying and learning some great stuff here.

Awesome!  Glad to hear that!

HI Steve! I'm backing up to two external drives. Good thing because my 1TB seagate just bit the dust. It showed two bad sectiors and when I tried to let the seagate program fix them with their program, it went crazy and BSODed. I don't use Cloud. I really don't have that much data to worry about. I have a little data on the W10 onedrive. Some keys like my MBAM life time, and a few more. Here's a little information about Macrium. It's a little more then I do! Macrium mention Cloud, but I'm not familiar with how that works and Macrium really doesn't explain it very well. I'm a full image guy myself and I don't do differentials. Hope this answered your reply.

Thanks for a great forum!

http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/Overview/Planning_a_backup_strategy.htm

Many organizations store their backups off-site at a local bank or at a different site. Some pay to upload backups to the cloud. Wherever you decide to keep your backups, try to choose a place where the same kinds of disaster, for example flood or fire, would not affect both the system and the backup. You also need to consider how secure your backup is where it is stored

• Upvote 1