• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Confused about interaction between Office 365 and OneDrive

Tay

I recently switched to Office 365 and One Dive as a means of creating, storing and accessing a set of common Office files from at least two different computers (additional access from my iPhone and iPad looked like a bonus), I could not understand why a document I updated on one computer did not contain those updates when I opened it on another. It took a while to figure out that OneDrive automatically downloaded a file when you opened it and it remained there on the local computer while ever it displayed a tick rather than a cloud icon alongside it in the OneDrive directory. I overcome the problem now by right-clicking on the tick icon and choosing Free up space which apparently uploads the file to the cloud and removes it locally/. If there is an easier way to have the file exclusively on the cloud and be able to work on it there I would love to know about it. I have discovered you can access OneDrive via a browser and work on it via the browser. However, my preference would be to use Office 365 whenever i am using either of my computers to update documents.

My problem at the moment is that documents open in Office 365 as Read-only and I have know idea why nor how to stop them doing it?

I envy you guys who have all this at your fingertips. Please help me if you can.