• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Windows Boot Manager; Windows failed to start; Status: oxc000000f

bxpeters
Go to solution Solved by Steve K.,

My laptop experienced the dreaded "Windows Boot Manager; Windows failed to start; Status: oxc000000f" error message.

I have tried the following, with no success:

Windows Recovery Media (flash drive and ISO disc)

• repair
  • restore
  • system image
  • Install (custom & upgrade) 
  • Command Prompt
    • Bootrec /fixboot
    • Bootrec /fixmbr
    • Bootrec /scanos
    • Bootrec /rebuildbcd

Easy Recovery Essentials app doesn't see Windows installed on my C drive; however, from a command prompt, I see and can fully navigate my C; drive including all directories and sub-folders.

Norton Premier 360

• Bootable Recovery Disk; Scan Failed on Power Eraser and the other option as well.

Hirens Rescue-CD

• I select "Boot from Hard Drive" and my laptop boots normally!!! 
  • This, I believe, points to a boot manager file that had become corrupted. If anyone has a clue s to how I can fix whatever file is being seen first, that would probably solve my problem.

I have been supporting (myself and others on) Windows since ver. 3.0 and this, by far, is the most resistant problem I've ever had (more so than the "Wireless button not working" issue that has baffled Windows tech's since Vista came out" (the more complicated one that the easy posted fixes didn't resolve). That said, does anyone have the slightest clue as to what I could possibly try next (aside from reformatting my C drive and losing all of my installed applications and hundreds of Gb of data?

I had just purchased a 4 Tb drive and installed into my USB ext tower to use as a backup when this all happened. 

I would prefer a solution that leaves my primary Windows installation, apps and data intact.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still unresolved over here. I have a Windows 10 boot flash drive that allows me to successfully boot into Windows Boot Manager (UI) and choose my normal WIndows login. 

If only I knew what file was being used by the flash drive to load that boot manager window. Anyone got any clues? I'd really like to free-up the flash drive and that USB port.

• Solution

Heya @bxpeters - @adacosta just wrote up a nice article on Fixing Boot issues on Windows 10 - Take a read on this one: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-windows-10-wont-boot-startup-repair-bootrec/

It includes several tips for fixing your boot issues on your box. 

Also - just remembered, from Disk Manager, make sure the disk is set to Active also so that way it is possible to book.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
On 24/11/2016 at 3:02 PM, Steve K. said:

Heya @bxpeters - @adacosta just wrote up a nice article on Fixing Boot issues on Windows 10 - Take a read on this one: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-windows-10-wont-boot-startup-repair-bootrec/

It includes several tips for fixing your boot issues on your box. 

Also - just remembered, from Disk Manager, make sure the disk is set to Active also so that way it is possible to book.

Thanks!

I really appreciate all your help.  I have been having a nightmare since last Monday with the BSOD!!  I don't know what triggered it, but here I am... searching in blogs, trying to figure out what is the problem.   I am registered to your emailing list, and I do enjoy reading all the tips, especially about Win10.  In this thread I found, I read your article (here above).  I found it very helpful, but I am stuck with this part :

Type each command then hit <Enter>:

• bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
  • c:
  • cd boot
  • attrib bcd -s -h -r
  • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
  • bootrec /RebuildBcd

I can't type the "backslash" symbol in the 5th line : "ren c:   "  etc.  On my other Laptop (the one not working), I tried every combination possible to find it, but nothing is working.  The only thing I found was clicking CTL+ a key that has the backslash symbol... but I always obtain this : ^\  and I can't erase the first one (the little hat), because the backslash erases too.  So how do I find it?  

As I am a Francophone, and use a French keybord in my Windows settings (but also have the English one activated), I was wondering if it might be the reason why I don't have It??  

Anyway, Can you help me?  Because I'm trying everything, and I don't want to loose all my data in reinstalling with a recovery disk or usb flash drive yet...  

Thanks very much.

• Upvote 1