• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

I Finally Conquered Windows 10

Rich-M

A few know me here and know I have not exactly been a lover of Windows 10, but that is based on the fact that I had to remove so many mangled Windows 10 updates from pcs they never should have been put on. I am not talking about pcs Compatibility might reject either as I have long believed that Windows is too kind in passing on some hardware for new versions and today I proved it.

I had an older desktop I use in a casual den for answering email and surfing while watching TV as also a possibility. It has an Intel I5 3570K cpu with 16 Gb memory, a San Disk Ssd 256 gb, and a 500 gb Wd Raptor hard drive with a 24" Dell Edge to Edge monitor and I had intended to do some gaming on it as well which never happened. I had a version of 10 on this unit a year ago that was an upgrade from Windows 7 but it just didn't run right. Many programs didn't work or froze up when on, Internet seemed slow and at times dropped connection (is wired) and it was so frustrating to run I recovered to Windows 7 after a month of headaches. A month later I did a clean install and had almost all the same problems so I again recovered to Windows 7 and the machine runs like a little "top" on 7. It's so quick and never hesitates or freezes for any reason.

A few weeks ago I decided to wait until after the Anniversary Update and see if Microsoft finally fixed everything because the hardware and all the programs show 100% compatible.

Well the date came and went and I bought four licenses and once more installed 10 clean, updated to the Anniversary Update, updated a few drivers and all seemed fine now. Half way through the install of programs Quicken 2015 refused to install. Since it was a burned cd I figured the dvd burner might be shot so I ran it on a portable dvd player and got a little further but no dice. Then I replaced the burner in the desktop and ran a few more mfgr cd's and dvd's and they installed but then after that I failed to install anything.Ms Office 2013, QuickBooks 2015, Quicken 2015, Adobe Acrobat 9, Macrium 6 Standard all hung up or stalled and refused to budge and they are not old software either. I uninstalled the Antivirus and Malwarebytes to no difference. I tried copying and pasting dvd's contents to desktop and again no change. At this point I decided that this hardware while not really old is too old for this version of Windows so I recovered with Macrium Rescue disk back to Windows 7 where that baby is staying.

My other desktop is an Intel i7 4790K processor with 16 Gb ram, MSI PC Lite motherboard, 256 gb Samsung Evo Ssd drive with a 500 Gb WD Raptor hard drive and install ran like "a piece of cake". Install, Anniversary Update all programs and drivers tweaked and ready to go in 4 hours late this AM and I have been playing with it ever since. I am a bit annoyed that my Asus Xonar DSX sound card had not Windows 10 drivers but I made do myself. I also had an issue with Microsoft power keyboard but again I got it to work and I realized this keyboard is a bit old too. Gen 3 to Gen 4 I guess does make a difference. I don't see where there is a big difference in how it runs but I am happy to finally have a pc running the current OS anyway.

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2016 at 6:56 AM, Rich-M said:

I am a bit annoyed that my Asus Xonar DSX sound card had not Windows 10 drivers but I made do myself.

If you mean that the disc that's part of the retail package doesn't have the latest drivers I too have found that with Asus sound cards, but they are always available at their website.

These drivers are available for the DSX

2016-09-17_122513.jpg

I have been told I've been brainwashed, but I would not go back to an earlier OS than 10.

12 hours ago, gus said:

If you mean that the disc that's part of the retail package doesn't have the latest drivers I too have found that with Asus sound cards, but they are always available at their website.

These drivers are available for the DSX

2016-09-17_122513.jpg

I have been told I've been brainwashed, but I would not go back to an earlier OS than 10.

Good find, @gus.

On September 17, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Rich-M said:

I have actually started liking Windows 8 as well, though it doesn't look much different when I get done altering it.

Windows 8.1 was quality (In my opionion). My work machine has been running 8.1 for awhile now and it's stable and runs great. Now that I have 10 Running on my home box, I'll have to buy my IT guy to get the biz updated!

Archived