• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Windows Anniversary August 2 Update!

I guess I was lucky. I typed "Anniversary Update" in the Metro search box, another box popped up that said something like "Get Anniversary Update Now" I clicked on that and followed the prompts. Takes up to 90 mins to complete.

I never burnt an ISO. A Techy I know stupidly stopped his computer during install and now won't boot nothing.Can't even get into Bios.

Heya @Profiler Good to see you back here. I'll see if I can explain what I done. First i clicked on "Check for Updates" It said "your devise is up to date"

Then I clicked on "Learn more" and that took me to the link in my above post.  It went through several sages and looked like it was going to install, but stopped and gave me the error 0X80070057. Researching that didn't turn up much. I haven't tried burning a ISO yet. Here's one of the stages it went through before I got the error! I didn't create a screen shot of the error.

Capture25.JPG

Told me my Windows 10 was up to date also.

Up to date yes but not the Anniversary Update.

That's when I typed in the metro search box.

If what I suggested doesn't work, then burn an ISO.

I didn't go the "Learn More" route so can't comment, sorry.

OK ! Thanks @Profiler I have been looking for a ISO that will allow me to create a USB flash. That's how I upgraded to W10. My DVD drive isn't working and I would really like to create the flash if I could find it!

PS I'll probably just wait until Windows updates installs the Anniversary update. I thought I would install it early, but I'm not going to put up with MS's BS. I would give the anniversary  flash a try if I could find it.

I'm wondering if staff would comment on this?? @Steve K.  @adacosta What are your thoughts??

Thanks!

Hi Update! I just finished creating a USB flash as one of the 3 methods mentioned above. The first method did not work for me. It said I had the latest updates!

Here's the details for the USB flash. Does this look right and is it the anniversary update??

Waiting for a reply before I try the MCT flash!

Thanks!

Capture26.JPG

Hi There! I'm always wondering and thinking about these things. Now I'm wondering if the W10 update (July 29) has been extended for two weeks and if it has; will a Windows 7.1 or 8.1 user be able to skip it and go directly to the anniversary addition. That would be cool. I have heard rumors but I have not been able to verify that is happening. Can anyone verify that may be happening??;)

That's a very good question.

I can't verify it, Gary but I will tell you this.

I am  not going to do the Windows 10 Anniversary Update for quite a while.

I look upon the Anniversary update as very similar to the first Service Pack.

The Anniversary Update comes with a whole host of issues for many people.

I'll wait.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3104389/microsoft-windows/the-case-against-windows-10-anniversary-update-grows.html

1 hour ago, holdum333 said:

Hi Update! I just finished creating a USB flash as one of the 3 methods mentioned above. The first method did not work for me. It said I had the latest updates!

Here's the details for the USB flash. Does this look right and is it the anniversary update??

Waiting for a reply before I try the MCT flash!

Thanks!

Yes, Gary. Build 14393.0 is the Anniversary Update.

;) Heya Cindy! Thanks for your link. I'm thinking I may wait also! You think maybe MS is trying to aggravate Windows users! xD Just kidding Cindy!

Thanks for the above post. I guess I have the anniversary  update on a USB flash then, but I haven't tried it yet. I always have a back up image of my OS with Macrium Reflect, but I only have one PC and even though Macrium has saved me before, there is no guarantee it would if this update goes bad! If you know what I mean! Thanks for your post and the information my friend!

Heya! Seems like some are having good luck; and liking the Anniversary Addition, just like some had good luck with the July addition.

I might give it a go soon ! Just like the first upgrade, the MCT seems to be the best way to upgrade the anniversary update!

Hopefully good old Macrium Reflect will bail me out if it goes south!;). I'm thinking a lot has to do with the way your PC is maintained.

I'm thinking that these are all good things from groovypost to check before trying to down load the update! These are good things to check any time IMHO!

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/10-things-check-before-installing-windows-10/

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-most-common-windows-10-setup-errors-issues/

To date I have done 3 pcs using the "learn more" approach which then creates the "Windows 10 Live Update Assistant" on the desktop.

The first two went like "cake" while the third one failed and restored to earlier version twice. After I thought about the third one I went into Control Panel" and changed startup options

to ""never" for monitor and standby and then walked away but each time came back nearing completion of the cycle and the 3rd time also went right through, Anniversary Update so far has been the first version of Windows 10 I have seen that looks stable.

C'mon Cindy you know better SP1 is when you do the new version of Windows for the first time not wait to do it. SP1 always fixes all the dreadful issues we have been trying so hard to ignore. Because of it I went out and bought 4 copies of Windows 10 Pro for $50 apiece on eBay and plan to now upgrade my whole fleet! I was betting once we got far enough away from "FREE" it would all work fine and so far I see I am right so now I can get behind this thing!

The only thing I see Cindy is the stall I had on the third unit I tried and return to earlier version but what I was saying is this is the fix, not the one that has to be watched. I cannot help but think that it is the Upgrades themselves that are having the issues. The third pc I tried this on that failed was an older HP out of the Biz division I have here for sale and that one seemed to be getting hung by PM was my guess and it proved correct. This is a  major Update similar to a new version because you almost start from day 1 with setting up permissions and acting like a new install and I believe it will right all the earlier problems. Clean installs really don't have the problems from what I have seen. The ones running like crap are the upgrades and if this is a real major change then the upgrades would have the most trouble doing this. Even the bootup screens are different here as everything appears retooled.

12 minutes ago, Rich-M said:

Gary tell us how far you get and how it fails i.e does it hang, restore to last version...exactly at what point it stops you and what you have tried to do to go forward.

@Rich-M Holdum333 has left the building and at this time I'm not sure when or if he will return. I'm very happy that W10 is working for you. Good to see you back here on the forum!

Archived