• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Problem with the task bar

Michel

I set my taskbar to auto hide. When windows 10 starts it works fine. Then in about 10 or 15 minutes the taskbar stays on --does not hide. Accessing properties does not fix it. Only a shutdown and restart fixes the problem but only for a short time. This features always work correctly with windows 7, 8 and 8.1. Can this be fixed to work permanently.

• 7 months later...

If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

Hi There! Here's some things you need to know about a In-place- repair-Upgrade!

• You will only be able to do a repair install of Windows 10 from within Windows 10. You will not be able to do a repair install at boot or in Safe Mode.
  • You will need at least around 8.87 GB + what Windows is currently using of free space available on the Windows drive.
  • The installation media (ex: ISO or USB) must be the same edition and build as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then the repair install will fail.
  • The installation media (ex: ISO or USB) must be the same language as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then you will not keep anything.
  • If you have a 32-bit Windows 10, then you must use a 32-bit ISO or USB.
  • If you have a 64-bit Windows 10, then you must use a 64-bit ISO or USB.

On 12/4/2015 at 1:21 PM, Michel said:

Can this be fixed to work permanently.

Never heard of this before Michel. Very funky. What happens if you move the toolbar to another spot on the desktop? Perhaps the LEFT or RIGHT side? Does it still not auto-hide after a few mins?

Hi ! I would be curious about how you up graded to W10. Did you use the Windows up date method,or did you use the Media Creation Tool. You could always try a in-place- repair- Upgrade. It will cure some of the funky things. You could try Steve's suggestion. If you have found a solution, we would like to hear about it!

On 12/4/2015 at 4:21 PM, Michel said:

I set my taskbar to auto hide. When windows 10 starts it works fine. Then in about 10 or 15 minutes the taskbar stays on --does not hide. Accessing properties does not fix it. Only a shutdown and restart fixes the problem but only for a short time. This features always work correctly with windows 7, 8 and 8.1. Can this be fixed to work permanently.

It certainly should work all the time and this is one of those little annoying things that happen with Windows 10 Upgrades. I really wish they had waited until the made this thing stable before trying so hard to get everyone on it. Simple reset will not fix this issue because it didn't work right in the first place unless I misread this.

Hi @Rich-M I don't understand why you are having so much trouble with W10. I'm not having any of the problems you are having. In my researching of W10; 98% of PC users aren't having issues with the up grade. The issues users are having are minor. I'm loving W10. If you were having problems with your PC before up grading to W10, then those problems will probably follow you.

Are you sure you understand what W10 reset does?? To me it's a clean install of W10! Here's what groovypost has to say about W10 reset!

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-10-reset-your-pc-feature/

Gary I run power desktops all with Ssd drives and a minimum 16 gb ram and my files are stored on a server running Server 2012 so the odds are many of the problems I am talking about you would never see on a 5 year old single Toshiba laptop.

Great idea Gary but I have 2 issues. I wouldn't want even a free Dell pc and the nearest Microsoft store to me is 2 hours away in a very heavily trafficked Mall I could not walk through physically and that said, what they are saying is they will upgrade it for those having difficulty. I have no problems doing the upgrade, they just run in a unacceptable manner.

;)OK! I see nothing wrong with Dell. I spend a lot of time with doctors. The only brand I have seen in their examining rooms are Dell, but that's another story. I think you should start a thread about some of the problems you are having with W10 and see if you get any comments or suggestions here. I personally would like to hear why your clients all want to roll back their PCs. I know you will want the last word as always, so you can have it; but I would really like to hear about all those problems you experience with the update that this old country boy would never see on a 5 year old Toshiba laptop, and I'm sure MS would like to hear about them also! ;) I would like to hear about all the problems you are having that I'm not seeing here on all the seniors PCs that I work on. I see all brands. A lot of Dells and a lot of HPs and some others. Even a Toshiba laptop like mine, but newer!

The vast majority of my clients are seniors and you know they hate change. However most of them have had printers that could not be installed in Windows 10,

very slow internet or no Internet, or they just could not find their way around in it. Of course I offered to help them learn Windows 10. Some were corrupted hanging installs, like you mentioned where we had no choice. I feel a certain amount of need at times to try to bring them forward, but I won't force anyone and I try to mediate their best interests as I have always done as an ex retailer. Some had very important proprietary programs and by that I mean specialized contractor or accounting software that would not work in Windows 10 as well. Slowly over the years I have tried to wean many of my business clients away from such type of software because it is often very expensive to upgrade and/or these small companies that offer same go in and out of business all the time often making them hard to find updating information and their programs are seriously expensive as well.

Hi @Rich-M LMAO! All my clients are seniors and for what they use their computers for; they don't see any change or very little and they love saving a 100$ and getting some thing free. I don't force it on them. I suggest that they upgrade to W10 because I believe in W10. I help them upgrade to W10 and tell them they have 30 days to roll back give me a call, and I'll help roll back. Not one senior has called me and wanted to roll back their OS! In fact they like W10.

I think we have rode this dead horse to the ground and it's time to move on.;)

The average senior in my group doesn't use programs at all, simply do email and surf internet and I have often thought we can save them $100

by using Linux for them. Pcs will be so much faster and we do not have to worry about Malware or Anti Malware programs. I mean the main purpose behind Windows is to

be able to add or subtract programs that facilitate various functions but most of mine never do any of that.

Of course Dougie and there have been Mac penetrations lately too but remember Malware is about "bang for the $" and it does not make sense if you exist to create all kinds of havoc on the most amount of users than your primary targets will never be the 4% Apple users and 3% Linux users out there...it just doesn't make sense.

So we can agree to disagree then as one article in ZD Net is not enough for me to base my policies on. If there were a widespread epidemic

that would be another story. I can find an article warning you about anything you like on the internet and that does not mean I will change everything I

do because of it.

Archived