• Welcome to Windows10Forum.com, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers. Using this forum is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Click here to Register a free account now and JOIN the discussion!

Has anyone else heard that Microsoft is transitioning the OS to be Modern Standby only, starting with the next Redstone Release ?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/behavior-differences-between-s3-and-modern-standby

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By RichardM
      Hi,
      I have tried anything to update my PC (Dell Studio XPS, Windows 10 pro, version 1607) to Windows 10 version 1709 with no success.
      I always get error 0x80070057 at the end. I have tried all solutions I could find on internet. For example:
      1. changing register values (e.g. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates into CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo with value 1)
      2. renaming or deleting folder /Windows/SoftwareDistribution
      3. performed a clean startup of Windows
      4. scanned the PC on several problems with sfc (nothing found)
      5. checked all drivers for potential problems (nothing found)
      6. disabled specific anti-virus software and firewall software (i.e. ESET Security)
      7. runned Windows Update troubleshooter (could not fix anything)
      8. etc etc
      Does any of you have other suggestions for me? The problem seen insolvable. 
      I do not want to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch.

• By bip1949
      Hello, Am writing for an older friend whose Windows 10 desktop only shows a hotmail account sign in, asking for a password which she can't remember.  It is not the usual way that her computer starts up after having been turned off.  I could not access anything at all to get her started.  No desktop, no startup button, no right-click ability to see any choices at all on the screen.  Restart brings the same screen, and turning off totally and rebooting shows the same screen.  Could it be due to an update?  What can I do to help her get into her computer.  Thanks to anyone who has a suggestion.  No startup disk either.
    • By Brian Burgess
      Meltdown/Spectre: It's a vulnerability that has existed in all processors for the past 20 years. The fix isn't going to slow down your modern processors. Consumers should be aware of it, but it isn't some crazy imminent threat. There are no known exploits out in the wild at this time.
      Windows 10 is already patched, as are most other devices. As always, just make sure you have your devices up-to-date. The patches aren't going to slow down your phone or modern PC. However, there have been issues with a previously released patch for older systems with AMD processors -- but Microsoft has already pulled the patch.
      Here is an easy to follow explanation I got from a Cisco engineer:
      "Modern processors get some of their performance by trying to guess what you’re going to ask it to do next. It predicts that you’re going to want the CPU to do a task, and gets started on it. So, by the time you ask it to do the work, it’s either already done or close to done.
      The flaw is that researchers figured out how anyone can ask the processor what it has guessed you will want to do. This means that an attacker can read things in the computer’s memory that they’re not supposed to have access to. This affects places like Amazon’s EC2 or Microsoft’s Azure where they run virtual servers for many different customers on the same physical hardware."
      I would have written an article on this, however, when you get into it, it's quite overwhelming, and it's already been explained so well by another trusted and experienced tech writer, Woody, who is all over the story. So, for more details and clarity, I highly recommend reading the following pieces from Computer World's Woody Leonhard:
      https://www.computerworld.com/article/3245788/microsoft-windows/windows-meltdown-and-spectre-keep-calm-and-carry-on.html https://www.computerworld.com/article/3246633/microsoft-windows/a-mess-of-microsoft-patches-warnings-about-slowdowns-and-antivirus-proves-crucial.html
    • By InterpoL99
      Hi,

Last few days I have problems with mouse and keyboard and their commands.

About week ago I installed new version of Windows 10 but it's was bugged too much and I done recovery to previous version of Windows 10.

Now everything is normal but I have problems with mouse and keyboard commands.

After I turn on the computer and after a few minutes mouse go wild.
      When I click on one icon with a left click, it opens a menu that opens with right-click.
      When I leaf on the Internet something with the middle button ( scroll ) it zoom page, although I do not touch the keyboard ( ctrl or alt ).
      When I click left-click on one icon, it opens 10 folders on desktop not on my command even I opened one folder.
      The keyboard does not respond at all and not work or when I write a keyboard something it writes on the computer that only after a few minutes.
      Practically, the mouse and the keyboard go crazy at one time and I'm forced to restart computer.
      Often it happens to mislead and to do it yourself, for example, once I click on the left or right mouse click, he starts to move open tabs alone.
      Drivers are updated for both.
      I tried to put them in another USB port, but it's the same.
      I tried on another computer where they worked normally.
      When I installed the bugged version of Windows 10 ( for me ), he asked me to update my driver and I updated, but later I returned the older version of Windows 10 and I do not know if the old driver came back but the previous version can not be restored in the driver settings.
      I tried with BIOS resetting but nothing.

I have these keyboard and mouse: 

Logitech K360 keyboard.

Genius Ammox X1-400 mouse.

Thank you in advance for the reply and apologize for a bad english.
      Milan
    • By Brian Burgess
      Microsoft has released the much-anticipated Timeline feature for it's most recent preview build for Insiders. It should drastically change your workflow for the better, and increase your productivity. And, it's not a crazy complicated new thing to learn.
      https://www.groovypost.com/news/windows-10-rs4-preview-build-17063-includes-timeline-and-tons-more/
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online