• Welcome to Windows10Forum.com, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers. Using this forum is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Click here to Register a free account now and JOIN the discussion!

CAL5

No idea what happened...

Not sure how this even happened, but, we had to unplug our computer to install a new surge protector. (One of the really nice ones they recommend) All that was done was, computer was turned off, unplugged, re plugged back into surge protector. Went to start it back up, computer goes on, the monitor flashes it’s usual, then goes to black with the flashing underscore. I tried all the troubleshooting things I could find on the web, YouTube, etc... can’t figure it out. My last resort is a total reboot. But (haha of course) my backup disk is no where to be found. Tried to go in through the ESC startup menu to make a new system recovery file/disk, and everything I use, tells me it’s incompatible or not enough space (which is bs). So now what? I’m at a loss and quite frankly, exhausted. I’ve been at this for 7+ hours and my brain is fried. If anyone out there can Help me in anyway, I’d greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

When you boot your computer @CAL5, what happens? Do you get a post of any kind? Or, when you reboot, does it just sit at a blank screen with a flashing cursor? 

Nothing but a black screen.  I found someone to take a look at it.  They managed to salvage the hard drive. They went through every trick they knew, but couldn't get it to come back.  The hard drive was taken out and given to me to get all my things off it, then wiped. Ended up having to get a new computer. @Steve K.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By seprice
      My 2017 Samsung Windows 10 laptop computer went to black, and as far as I can tell, shut itself down - although to be honest, I'm not sure that it shut down or was just hung.  I was able to reboot it, and here I am but... I was working on stuff and it was uber inconvenient, plus... worried that it's a THING that will take me down again and again if I don't figure it out.
      I read a bunch of trouble-shooting sites online, but none of the reasons seemed to "fit" with what I'm doing.  Not installing, no external display, no extra hardware, no recent updates (to my knowledge), no weird behavior before or after.  Went into Safe Mode, but couldn't figure out what I was looking for.  

Anyway, long and short, I had maybe 10 tabs open in Chrome, was drafting a personal bio statement in Word, and then *POOF* black.  I don't run anything more taxing than the occasional Netflix show.  

Any suggestions?

• By FMBDAVE
      On startup my Dell laptop goes to a black screen with a moveable cursor.  Can get it to "preparing automatic repair" mode by powering on and off a few times but then it still ends up with the black screen and movable cursor. Tried a few suggestions found here but still  no luck. Is there anything specific I should try? 

• By Ellen
      Hi,
      We have a family computer running on Windows 10 with four profiles. Two of the profiles are admin (mine and my husband's) and the other two are non-admin profiles for the kids. 
      Right now, one of my kid's profiles is showing up with a black screen with the arrow cursor after they enter their password at login; I am able to access Task Manager from the black screen (CTRL/ALT/DEL) and can log out of the profile from there, but can't access the start menu and there is no task bar.  The other three profiles work with no problems.
      I've tried all of the tricks that I've found (removing non-essential start-ups, safe-mode start-up and repair, reinstalling drivers, etc.) and nothing has helped. Can anyone please help??
      Thanks!
    • By kuroowls
      Hello! I recently installed the newest Windows 10 update but whenever I login onto my laptop, it goes through the process and then goes to a black screen with a cursor that I can move on it. I've tried restarting the laptop several times, each time not working at all. I don't want to resort to a system restore of any kind. I heard about disabling App Readiness but I'm concerned that if I do so, it'd cause more issues.  I also heard about changing App Readiness from Automatic to Manual, yet it's already in manual mode. The only way that I can access a browser currently is by opening up Task Manager, running a new program and typing in chrome.exe to open this up. However, both my home screen and taskbar aren't showing up. I've also let the laptop stay on the black screen after logging in for around 20 minutes which did absolutely nothing. 
      After the update, I also encountered an issue to where I couldn't click anything on the taskbar besides my pinned programs (chrome, explorer, etc.) and Cortana. I could not click on the windows home button or any of the ones on the very right side from the default taskbar. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just don't want to do a system restore or alter any files of any sort. Thank you!
    • By Logo25
      I have dell stuido xp with windows7 that upgraded to window 10 on its own.  Since been having all sorts of issues :(.  Latest is black screen when the computer is turned on with only a cursor showing.  I have tried many suggestions, but the real problem is not getting task manager after pressing alt+control+delete buttons.   Can SOMEONE please HELP?! ?. My daughter needs to do her school hw ..... MANY THX IN ADVANCE for any suggestion or help. 
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online