• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

UG freezes ay 99%

amsoil man

In addition to that Gary also suggests this that makes sense to me:

For a computer running Windows 8 or later, another powerful command line utility users can run is the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool that is used to service a Windows installation. Similar to the System File Checker utility, you can use DISM to correct corrupted system files and determine the status of the system.

• Press Windows key + X

• Click Command Prompt (Admin)

• Type each command at the prompt then hit enter after each scan is complete)

• Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

• Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

• Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

11 hours ago, amsoil man said:

Well...after 5 hrs,I got this error message.

what now?

I ran into this same issue yesterday. Upgrading from Windows 7.

Upgrade ran all night and when I woke up, it was sitting at 99%. I did a reboot then ran Windows update again. Guess what, it need some updates...

Once I fully patched and reboot, I kicked off the upgrade again using the tip from @adacosta. Although I missed the deadline to upgrade, I used the blog post here: https://windows10.help/blogs/entry/6-windows-10-free-upgrade-apparently-still-available/ for my Windows 7 -> WIndows 10 Upgrade.

Anyway, long story short, I kicked off the upgrade again and it took that second time after Windows 7 was fully patched.

So... ya might give that a shot!

On 9/18/2016 at 11:21 PM, Vadim said:

Once I fully patched and reboot, I kicked off the upgrade again using the tip from @adacosta. Although I missed the deadline to upgrade, I used the blog post here: https://windows10.help/blogs/entry/6-windows-10-free-upgrade-apparently-still-available/ for my Windows 7 -> WIndows 10 Upgrade.

I just upgraded an old DELL (Latitude e6420) to Windows 10. It was an upgrade from Windows 7. I used the Accessibility link from @adacosta so thanks to you and @Vadim!

• 2 months later...

I have started the Windows 10 upgrade 3 times on my Windows 7 computer.  The first time it hung at 99% complete and after waiting 6 hours I killed it,

Read web pages about solutions, did changes.  Start upgrade again.  Same result, waited 5 hours on 99% complete.  Installed more solutions

(kill virus checker, Skye, Remove all USB devices).  Started again, same results after 6 hours. 

Microsoft has such a command of the market they can ignore a problem like this.  I see reports from October of 2015.  1000s in 2016.

So I found the solution:  Loaded OpenSuse Leap 42.1    KDE interface works great.  There is on board documentation.  Yast is a graphic

install/update interface that actually tells you what it is doing and each step of progress.   The Windows update simple sets the at

Percent Complete: 99%.   Find a spare computer and try it.   

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2017 at 7:35 AM, Rich-M said:

That's the easy way! Unfortunately I wish it was predictable or even explainable.

Unfortunately, unexplainable does happen from time-to-time. But honestly, if you think about it, considering the millions of upgrades performed with the millions of non-Microsoft apps and hardware and software... (blah), it's Amazing they support an upgrade to the OS at all.

From time-to-time, issues will be encountered but, overall, they do a really good job.

Archived