• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Your Thoughts On Privacy

holdum333

Hi !  Surely there has to be some thing that you all would like to comment on here on the forum. What do you think about your privacy that you have with Windows 10?

I hear that there are a lot of PC users that think they have to give up a lot of their privacy when they upgrade to W10. A lot of complainers and Geeks trying to figure out how to keep all this information from MS. 

Here are my thoughts sports fans! If all this information MS is getting will protect myself; and my loved ones from some idiot that will strap on a bomb, and kill and injure a bunch of innocent people, then I'm going to leave all my W10 settings to default. I have nothing to hide. The internet has become a cesspool for terrorists and those that want to destroy my country. I have never seen any thing like what's happening in my 78 years. There is so much hate and violence. It's a sad time and IMHO it will only get worse until we wake up, and love each other and realize that we all may have our different ways, but love will conquer all the evil if we stop  hating  those that are different from us! That won't be easy to do, but we have to try!

Here's a good link !  http://www.anti-abuse.org/some-general-thoughts-on-privacy/

While I see your point I can't completely agree with the analogy comparing Microsoft snooping to looking to prevent terrorist activity...I believe Microsoft is on their own team and am highly indignant at the defaulted releases of privileged information built into Windows 10. Personally I shut it all off everywhere I go,

Heya @Rich-M If your on the internet my friend, someone some where is watching you. I don't know what you mean by shutting it all off, but I seriously doubt if you have shut it all off. You might be able to fool some with a proxy program like "Hide my XXX" but i wouldn't guarantee that either.

Thanks for you comment friend! My first and only one!xD

On 8/14/2016 at 0:17 AM, holdum333 said:

I hear that there are a lot of PC users that think they have to give up a lot of their privacy when they upgrade to W10

The issue is people don't read and educate themselves. They hear something and rather than read it for themselves and confirm it, they accept it as truth. Lemmings...  This is true from everything from Religion, Politics and.... Windows 10. ;)

So, if you want to get educated, for 30 minutes and read the Microsoft Terms of Service. They tell you what they DO and will NOT do. It's really just that simple. 

For example, here is the Terms of Service in regards to YOUR CONTENT:

2. Your Content. Many of our Services allow you to store or share Your Content or receive material from others. We don’t claim ownership of Your Content. Your Content remains Your Content and you are responsible for it.

• a. When you share Your Content with other people, you understand that they may be able to, on a worldwide basis, use, save, record, reproduce, transmit, display (and on HealthVault delete) Your Content without compensating you. If you do not want others to have that ability, do not use the Services to share Your Content. You represent and warrant that for the duration of these Terms, you have (and will have) all the rights necessary for Your Content that is uploaded, stored or shared on or through the Services and that the collection, use, and retention of Your Content will not violate any law or rights of others. Microsoft cannot be held responsible for Your Content or the material others upload, store or share using the Services.
  • b. To the extent necessary to provide the Services to you and others, to protect you and the Services, and to improve Microsoft products and services, you grant to Microsoft a worldwide and royalty-free intellectual property license to use Your Content, for example, to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, display, and distribute via communication tools Your Content on the Services. If you publish Your Content in areas of the Service where it is available broadly online without restrictions, Your Content may appear in demonstrations or materials that promote the Service. Controls for how Microsoft personalizes advertising are available on the Security & privacy page of the Microsoft account management website. We do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target advertising to you. Our advertising policies are covered in detail in the Privacy Statements.

If you don't like it, fine. However, I guarantee the Terms are better than most other companies like Facebook or Google. I know, I've READ them.

2 hours ago, holdum333 said:

Heya @Rich-M If your on the internet my friend, someone some where is watching you. I don't know what you mean by shutting it all off, but I seriously doubt if you have shut it all off. You might be able to fool some with a proxy program like "Hide my XXX" but i wouldn't guarantee that either.

Thanks for you comment friend! My first and only one!xD

Very true there is no real way to be really 100% safe today.

I was referring to the original setup where if you choose "customize" rather than "quickest" you will see all the new strokes that have to do with sharing your private information and can choose to not allow any of it! Of course we can be seen on the internet but how many people know what a hardware firewall does for you?That is one of the reasons to buy quality routers and not to be so quick accepting modem/routers from your isp that most likely don't have any. A hardware firewall in effect hides or changeless the ip address you are shown at so it won't do the snooper any good way if you utilize a hardware firewall.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived