• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

This is a problem I have had since day 1 of upgrading to Windows 10 (August 2015). Cortana thinks she's my wie and totally ignores me! That's not strictly true - if I press the mike button then say "Hey Cortana" she can be quite helpful. If I DON'T press the mike key first then she is deaf to all my pleas including "Hey Cortana" and ess complimentary statements. I have always assumed this is just the stupid way things are and that everybody had to go through both steps. Brian has just informed me this is not so and directed me here to seek help.

I have checked that "Hey Cortana2 is enabled - it is. My microphone works perfectly well ((including for Cortana once I have clicked the mike. She then pays attention until I stop asking questions for more than about five seconds. If I have to press the mike key every time I need her to listen it seems rather pointless having to say "Hey Cortana" as well. Anybody got any suggestions as to what I might have missed/done wrong? Thanks for any help.

• 2 months later...

Hi there! I realize this is a old post, but it was not answered.If you are clicking on this thread, here's what you need to try. Cortana needs to learn your voice. You will have to repeat some things to Cortana while she learns your voice. There may be times when you will have to repeat this procedure. I know I have had to do it several times. I'm thinking this will improve when the anniversary up grade comes out next month.

Here's a PSR Zip file that will show you how to teach Cortana to recolonize your voice!

Cortana!.zip

Thanks for getting back to me - you're the first after all this time. I guess the others  don.t want to argue with a woman, I understand that! Trouble is I.ve been there and done that - Cortana understands my voice almost perfectly PROVIDING I CLICK THE MIKE FIRST. If I don't click the mike she totally ignores me and carries on with whatever it is she does in her spare time. If I do click the mike she answers to the best of her ability (usually pretty good) then puts me on the back burner again until next time I press the mike. I've decided that, as she obviouslly doesn.t like me we are better ff ignoring each other - so that's what I do. If you have more ideas I would be only too pleased to hear and try them.

Hey Bob! That's the way my Cortana works also. I have to repeat those 6 things,  then she works for awhile. I'm thinking Cortana has a short memory like me LOL. Then it's back to clicking on the mike every time. I'm hoping when the anniversary up date rolls out next month that will get fixed. I've heard rumors that there is supposed to be big improvements with Cortana. I kind a like Cortana for a dictionary. She spells pretty good. I'm new to the forum. Only been here 3 weeks. I try hard to get a little action going, but that is some times hard to do. Good to hear from you Bob. If I figure some thing out any thing before the anniversary up date, I'll let you know. Did you open my attached zip file above. I like that PSR feature to show people how to do things. I have a how to use the PSR feature in the tips and trick section of this forum! That's for your post!

Well at least I'm not alone! Cortana only ever works for one request for me - I have to click the mike every damn time so I stopped using her when I made my entry on this forum (I spell pretty good anyway). I didn't use your PSR as I had already 'trained' Cortana for my voice 648 times (or was it 649?) Like yourself I.m waiting for the Autumn update to see if that fixes it.

Don't know about you but, unlike most of my acquaintances, I rather like Windows 10 and it seems to be getting better all the time. Now, if they would just fix Cortana and let me view my photos in the order that I want!

Hey Bob! I'm liking W10 really well. Don't know what all the anniversary up date contains. Here's a few things! Not sure what you mean about viewing your photos in the order that you want! Here's a groovypost by @Steve about Cortana.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/use-inking-with-sticky-notes-and-cortana-in-windows-10-anniversary-update/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upcoming-features

Image result for laughing my ass off I can understand that! I have the same problem. I've been married 56 years. Maybe the new anniversary up date will help! I'm thinking that our mics may not be up to Cortana's  standards. I just have a cheap Toshiba laptop with realtek speakers and mic! I undated the driver, but that didn't help. You can hold down the windows logo key+C and Cortana with come on and you can ask her questions that way or just click on the mike like you have been doing! Thanks for your post!

Nothing to do with mike (otherwise she wouldn't hear when you poked her in the Mike. If I hit the mike then clap my hands she perks up, listens then says she "didn't  catch that". If I don't poke the mike I can make as much noise as I like - she just isn't interested. it's not t he mike - it's Microsoft! If I'm going tto have to press keys or hold them down just to talk to the silly woman I find it quicker and less frustrating to just typeinto the search box. Like tyour photo of Cortana llaughing at us though!

You're absolutely right! Getting somewhere at last - just had wife in, enquiring why was I talking to myself? I'll wait till she's ou spending all my money and then I'll experiment. Find out how long it works for and how long you can keep quiet for - don' want to have to keep talking (might end uo changing sex - but don't tall any females I said that)

Hey my new friend @SuperBob! I don't know if we're getting some where at last or not; but we're having fun being our selves talking about Cortana,and that's  counts on these help forums IMHO

I have been blessed financially and I count my blessing ever day.I hope I can pass forward things I have learned from forums like this one.

That would make my day! I want to thank @Steve For allowing me to be apart of this great forum and allowing to be my old country boy self.

Archived