• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

What are your thoughts on Windows 10 so far?

Now that Windows 10 Technical Preview has been out for a while, and for those of you who have installed it, either on a spare PC or virtual machine, what are your thoughts on it so far/

Of course it's not even close to complete, and in the coming weeks we should see more features aimed at the consumer. This current release is aimed at business and enterprise.

I am happy with it so far. There are some things that seem needless to me, such as the extra search icon and a few other things I can't think of right now. But really overall I like the direction it's heading.

How about you guys? Thoughts, complaints, concerns?

• 1 month later...

i absolutely love it compared to the horrible win 8 and 8.1. yes there are a few things to fix, but over all it runs very fast, and has relatively little problems. can't wait to have some rapid fire updates and start seeing new things. just hope they don't head into the wrong direction with the updates.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I liked it until build 9926... now my PC crashes all the time with ndu.sys error.

I looked up the error, and it looks like itsWindows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver failing to start.

I would try a PC Reset or a clean install.

Here is where I found the information on this error:

http://batcmd.com/windows/10/services/ndu/

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pastorjohn

every things works fine EXCEPT my sound dive is not being recognized by the system. i have build 9926. the device magaer says it there and working properly, but the system can not or will not read it.

• 1 month later...
Guest mpwaffle

I have installed it on a newly built machine with an Intel I7 quad core running at 3.0 and an MSI mo/bo and an Nvidia Geforce 520 video card and 12 gb of ram. All fairly new. And since I have updated to the latest build every time that I restart it boots up to the sign in screen, I sign in and then it goes black and stays black unless I unplug the monitor and replug it in and then it comes up to the windows desktop.

Other than that it is better than windows 8, but not better than windows 7. 7 is still the best system that you have built to date for PC users, maybe not for phones and smaller devices but for PC users and especially for businesses 7 is king and for good reason. Businesses want to have a desktop because they are always using the PC for work and it is most likely stationary and not mobile. I think that Microsoft must either build dual functionalilty into windows 10 or just admit that there are 2 kinds of users. One that uses a PC for either work, speed, or gaming. All of which still need a full pc to really do the job, and then there are the mobile users who get by with phones and notebooks and labtops, none of which really fit the bill for work, speed, performance, or gaming--not to mention an older market that needs a PC for the size of the keyboard, lettering, fonts, viewing, accessibility, etc. A windows 7 type of system for PCs and a windows 8 type of system for the small stuff. Both which are very important in their own right. They are just different markets. I know plenty of business users who are still using Windows XP because of what a great system it was, and it was not equaled untill windows 7 came out and windows 7 is by far better for PC s now and I redict that windows 7 will continue to dominate the PC market and even labtops for many years to come and people won't give it up easily. The only 2 things that I see that are better if they work in windows 10 is cortana and halograms. Nothing else is really better and in fact by trying to amke 10 like 8 it is a step back.

However I would never change over to 10 until you fix the black screen at start up. Windows 7 works, windows 10 still doesn't and that starts right with the startup that never happens.

• 1 month later...
Guest ramblinflebro

I never was a Windows 8 hater. But, I will admit I like 10 a lot more. I have been running 10 since day one. The only serious problems I have had are the ones I have created. I have a question. If you are running tech preview now, when 10 is officially released on 7/29, will you be able to do a clean install, or through update only?

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
Guest Micp

I must say excellent job Microsoft, with Build 10162 things are looking good! All 3rd party programs installed and run, recognizes usb drives ect... I could request a different menu, feature or the like to suit me personally but probably to late for that and it is easy to personalize in settings.

• 1 month later...
Guest akathepig

Love 7,but 10 is a huge improvement.Start up is a bit slow ,but use the sleep option and alls well.So much easier to configure and personalise love the new browser.

Love 7,but 10 is a huge improvement.Start up is a bit slow ,but use the sleep option and alls well.So much easier to configure and personalize love the new browser.

I have to say -- I'm still learning my way around Windows 10. So far, not bad. But... I can already tell it's going to take time. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest digitalcuroisity

Have installed Win10 on two ASUS Computers a G73JH running Win7 with ATI Graphic board and G73SW running win8.1 with NVIDIA Graphic board. Both upgraded to Win10 with no problems,and all files programs were still on systems.

Everything worked on the G73JH ASUS but on the G73SW i had to reinstall the SONY Video software fro the SONY Web site for this computer to find the Sony camcorder. Also had to reinstall the ACROBATreader program. And the ROXIE Video 2011 Pro the screen resolution is yet to work with the editing part of software,still working on this item.

But all in one i feel Windows10 is a real step forward from Windows8.1.

• 4 weeks later...

Upgraded to Windows 10 from excellent Windows 7. Result, Skype settings changed so now no audio; Seagate backup hard-drive system which now disabled; tried brand new Logitech Z105 speakers to 'fix' Skype audio problem - not acceptable. Somehow lost my 7 Livemail signon! Most of the other systems work OK. It seems that MS have not liased sufficiently, and in time, for other manufacturers to bring their material up to speed.

Guest jpreston43

Still unhappy on 2 accounts...not full aero implementation (see attached photo as in 7)...

7l882l8re4qs.jpg

AND, I do not sign into my refrigerator, my toaster, my hot water heater, or any other APPLIANCE in my home. Why should I have to sign into this one? I have never done that before and is why I had to have the Geek Squad re-install 7 on my machine. Until 10 comes with an easy to turn off when installed bit for that I will remain with 7.

• 3 months later...
Guest CFVentures

windows 10 completely crashed one of our computers we lost all our data and unfortunately the backups that were being done weekly were not backed up properly, this is VERY FRUSTRATING!!!