• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Tip? Trick? Something you Learned?

Have you found something awesome that you want to share with the community? Please use this sub-forum http://windows10forum.com/forum/9-tutorials-tips-and-tricks/ and post a new topic to your Tip, Trick or Tutorial! If it's amazing, we will mention it on our main publication groovyPost.com which is read by over 2 million readers monthly!.

Thanks for sharing with the community! 

• 10 months later...

Hi ! Don't know if this tip or not, but I test my hard drives to see if there is any thing going on. My Hitachi is going on its  5th year and it's looking good. I seldom shut my PC down. i don't use sleep or hibernate. it's either on off off and very seldom off. You will get all kinds of theory about this. i figure if you get 5 years from a hard drive, you're doing good. I realize it could go bad any time, but right now it's doing good. I test with WD and seagate! They do a good job. If you want to test your RAM, I recommend memtest86. I'll probably do that next.

Here's my test, and remember to create back ups of your OS on a regular basis. I like Macrium Reflect, but there are several good free image back up programs! If you have any favorites, post them. Sure would like to see more people posting on the forums.

Capture48.JPG

Capture49.JPG

1 hour ago, holdum333 said:

My Hitachi is going on its  5th year and it's looking good. I seldom shut my PC down. i don't use sleep or hibernate. it's either on off off and very seldom off. You will get all kinds of theory about this. i figure if you get 5 years from a hard drive, you're doing good. I realize it could go bad any time, but right now it's doing good.

Which drive is it? SSD or Standard drive? I'm starting to really like the Hybrid Drives (SSD+HD). 

I just love this report that Backblaze runs each quarter - https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/

Normally I always consult their articles and won't buy a drive anymore without reading the latest report from them. Something to keep in mind @holdum333

Hi Shocker! I've been looking for a little action here on the forum. Looks like there are two of us now. I'm just a simple man with a simple plan.

I'm 78 years young, and live in a small cottage in a retirement village in Oklahoma. We don't have a lot of room. I run a Toshiba lap top and a HP Photosmart7510 printer.

Always looking for forums where I can learn new things and help with things I have learned from others. Thanks for the link. I'll give it a look.

Here's a speccy log. My hard drive is a spinner. I have a quad core processor and my lap top runs really cool.

Capture50.JPG

Hey ShockerSH! The report doesn't look well for Seagate! I just lost my 1TB Seagate external drive. I had a lot of back up images on it. I'm not a happy camper about that. Probably won't need the images as most were W7 and I have up graded to W10, but still not happy.

What do you think about WD? Do you have a preference? 1TB will be plenty for me!