• Welcome to Windows10Forum.com, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers. Using this forum is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Click here to Register a free account now and JOIN the discussion!

bip1949

hotmail signin only thing showing on startup

Hello, Am writing for an older friend whose Windows 10 desktop only shows a hotmail account sign in, asking for a password which she can't remember.  It is not the usual way that her computer starts up after having been turned off.  I could not access anything at all to get her started.  No desktop, no startup button, no right-click ability to see any choices at all on the screen.  Restart brings the same screen, and turning off totally and rebooting shows the same screen.  Could it be due to an update?  What can I do to help her get into her computer.  Thanks to anyone who has a suggestion.  No startup disk either. :(

Hi here's article I created. W10 has several ways to recover. You can create installation media to repair or reinstall windows 10. Don't worry about the license if the device had W10 installed. Let me know if you need further help and I'll try to help you. You can create your own installation media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Windows has several ways to get your PC up and running when you have a issue.
When you boot into the Advanced Startup mode, you will find several options that can help you fix problems. Here's a good link by HTG that explains this really well. It's a good place to start.
https://www.howtogeek.com/131916/ho...artup-options-to-fix-your-windows-8-computer/
Here's a tip if Windows won't boot!
If your PC isn’t loading Windows 10 and you don’t have the operating system installation files, you can use the following trick.

1. Start your computer and follow the POST, when Windows should begin loading, press the power button to shutdown your computer.

2. Repeat the previous step twice, and in the third restart the operating system should enter into the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE), where a number of diagnostics will be performed to try fix any booting issues, but you will also get an option to access the Windows Startup Settings.

3. Here's 6 ways to recover W10. They are listed in the order that I would try. Hope this helps someone. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

• Like 1

Hi I don't get notifications about threads I'm helping on. I'll try to check back here every couple of hours. Let me know if I can help or answer questions. W10 has lots of ways to recover. Some easy. Some not so easy, but you can recover if your hardware doesn't have problems. I have suggestions for checking hardware also.:D

2 hours ago, slick333 said:

Hi I don't get notifications about threads I'm helping on. I'll try to check back here every couple of hours. Let me know if I can help or answer questions. W10 has lots of ways to recover. Some easy. Some not so easy, but you can recover if your hardware doesn't have problems. I have suggestions for checking hardware also.:D

Thank you for your help.  I've printed some of your suggestions and will try again when I see her in a week.