• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

hotmail signin only thing showing on startup

bip1949

Hello, Am writing for an older friend whose Windows 10 desktop only shows a hotmail account sign in, asking for a password which she can't remember.  It is not the usual way that her computer starts up after having been turned off.  I could not access anything at all to get her started.  No desktop, no startup button, no right-click ability to see any choices at all on the screen.  Restart brings the same screen, and turning off totally and rebooting shows the same screen.  Could it be due to an update?  What can I do to help her get into her computer.  Thanks to anyone who has a suggestion.  No startup disk either. :(

2 hours ago, slick333 said:

Hi I don't get notifications about threads I'm helping on. I'll try to check back here every couple of hours. Let me know if I can help or answer questions. W10 has lots of ways to recover. Some easy. Some not so easy, but you can recover if your hardware doesn't have problems. I have suggestions for checking hardware also.:D

Thank you for your help.  I've printed some of your suggestions and will try again when I see her in a week.

Archived