• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Windows 10 version 1703 and 1709 are killing my HP Pavilion

I have a two year old HP Pavilion NotePad. laptop.  Window 10 1703 (Creator) killed my Realtek microphone array. When 1703 became cumulative all of the the updates failed to installed. When 1709 came along it also died. And the HP support  website seems to be dead for at least the last 3 days.also.

I have several questions:

1. Should my HP have reacted as badly as it did to these updates?  My two old desktops (both over 5 years old) took both versions without a problem. 

2. I said my microphone array is dead because 90% of the time since 1703 Cortana can't  hear me. When she does hear me she then says something went wrong. try Later OR she says I cannot connect. The HP has no problem connecting to the internet with Google Chrome so I do not know what this second (internet connection) Cortana problem is. To me the only logical blame is the microphone   array system is making Cortana crazy. A third problem is that my HP seems to have slowed down since the updates attacked. A lot of comments around the web point to the fact that the new releases have a lot of fancy (compute intensive) features that most of us will never use. My question is should  I download and reinstall the microphone array system as an interim fix??? Some family members used Cortana a lot before she went deaf. 

3. So should I download the 1709 graciously offered in an earlier post. If I go this route what do  I do for additional HP drivers????  Versions 1703 and 1709 appeared to using existing drivers. But what do you do when 1703 or 1709 kill or maim the existing driver like they did to my microphone array?

4. Re the download. On.my 3 MB internet connection we are talking 10 hours of downloading files. Is the download a single image or is it in 1 gigabyte RAR folders..  

In summary I guess I could  add some more complaints about Microsoft forcing the the 1703 and 1709 downloads onto the user community with little concern for customers  welfare and NOT  devoting enough of their resources to sufficient testing but truly we are only customers so we really don't matter to them.

A  second comment is that I am pretty sure that the age of my old PCs (5 years+) is what saved them from also being screwed up. The components on the motherboards were so old that there was nothing recent for the software to screw up.

Any thoughts/comments on how to recover my HP Pavilion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan.

@DanHPPavillion I would start by taking a look at some of the common upgrade issues: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-most-common-windows-10-setup-errors-issues/

I would upgrade to the latest build and then check for new drivers after that. Also, take a look at this article for important things to do before upgrading to Version 1709:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/prepare-computer-windows-10-creators-update-version-1703/

Hope this helps

• 2 months later...

Archived