• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

How to assigning a particular boot drive in Windows 10?

willkanoff

Hi all!

I have DELL Alienware Aurora R4 machine with three hard drives:

1.       (Local Disk)C: - (Windows 7) the “original” one that I bought with the computer.

2.       (OS)D: - (Windows 10 with all updates) the one I’ve added after the “original” started to show signs of degradation.

3.       (STORE)F: - (no OS) the one I use just to store stuff.

I’ve had dual boot and everything was hunky-dory until last week the C drive have finally kicked the bucket.

First the computer refused to shut down until I forced it. And next morning it took more than TWO hours to boot. When I finally got to the window explorer the C drive was still there but I couldn’t access or do anything to it.

In the old times I could just remove it and set boot priorities in BIOS to boot from drive D. But if I actually remove the dead drive now, the computer says that it has nothing to boot from.

It appears that with UEFI mode enabled

1.       I don’t see the actual drives in the BIOS (It only shows general source types, like Hard Drive, CD/DVD, etc.) and therefore cannot boot from a particular internal drive.

2.       I cannot assign Active Partition

3.       I cannot remove the dead C drive

So, what the heck am I supposed to do?

P.S. Could I just buy a new drive, clone the D drive to it, call it C and use the D for something else?

Please, HELP!

myArurora-r4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived