• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Update Windows 8.1 update 1 to Windows 10 Technical Preview

This is the first in series of different ways you can start with the Windows 10 Technical Preview. In this instance I am upgrading Windows 8.1 with update 1. And to be honest, installing 10 (right now anyway) is virtually the same as 8. Here are some screenshots of my journey:

I started by installing Windows 10 from a DVD -- yeah I know...a DVD.

ueq0wa0dsfj4.png

Agree to the EULA

hagsg5txa7em.png

The installation process begins"

4h5al5zdgh88.png

3gsrq6v7fu69.png

Decide what to keep. By the way, I just did a straight upgrade, and all of my apps and desktop programs came through fine, as well as my data.

0mrrnmkvxvre.png

4jbd2fildmkk.png

The install begins:

guqn73ggw5ou.png

It took a while and I wasn't in the room the entire time, I know my laptop restarted at least once...maybe more. Go with Express setup, and then you start seeing messages like the one below:

wworcu1zxvlk.png

Now you're ready to start exploring what is new in Windows 10!

1v26zl79roe7.png

v1rljfo9bftb.png

thoughts or comments?

Well, I just wanted to get it installed as quickly as possible this time. I will be showing other ways to upgrade from other OS's ... I think Windows 7 next. Then also doing a clean install.

But remember, this is ONLY the Technical Preview and the final version won't be out for over 6 months.

Of course on my main system I will do a clean fresh install ;)

• 3 months later...

I run Windows 8.1 update 1. How long does it take to erase Windows 8.1 update 1 before the installation of Windows 10 Technical Preview begins? I clicked on the "Start upgrade now" button from the Download Windows 10 Technical Preview page on the microsoft.com page and it did a restart but it is stuck on the acer explore beyond limits page during loadup. Is it supposed to take this long to load? I clicked on the Start upgrade now button 110 minutes ago. Can anyone tell me anything please?

Had to delete the Windows 10 Technical Preview then redownload it as an error message popped up on the screen that said "We ran into an installation error. This could be because your pc doesn't meet system requirements or your language isn't available."

I will try and download and install it again and see if I am successful this second time. If this next download will not install because of language problems and not because of system requirements then I shall nust bave to be patient and wait until Windows 10 is available to everyone later this year.

Yesterday I downloaded Windows 10 technical Preview yesterday and it refused to install so I went to bed to mull it over and today tackled the installation problem again and success! The Windows 10 Technical Preview has downloaded ok with no problems and is installing right now as I write this. What I did was entered my security software settings and created an exception for the download and the download was accepted as an exception. And the security software that I had to change the settings for is AVG Internet Secirity! For those out there having the same problem is to look at getting your security software to accept the download and installation. Fingers crossed that the installation will complete without any more problems. I am so looking forward to exploring Windows 10 Technical Review as I am inpatient for the full download.

• 2 years later...

hey 

I am using windows 8 single language on 64X

I have this error message ?

"This 32-bit version of Windows cannot be installed to an EFI-based computer. Installation cannot proceed. Use a 64-bit version of Windows to install to an EFI-based computer."

the iso file is 64x not 32 ?!

Archived