• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

System protection to create a checkpoint does not work with windows update.

hex40

I have a recently purchased Lenovo laptop with version 1511 (OS build 10586.494)

I read item https://www.tekrevue.com/how-to-enable-system-restore-windows-10/

to learn how to cause windows update to create a checkpoint before installing updates.

I can create a manual update but when updates are installed using Windows Update,

no checkpoint is created.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem ???

Hi! @hex40 Here's all I know about W10 and restore points! I don't think that restore points are created every time you get window updates.

I have noticed that I don't get as many automatic updates as I did with W7. You may  get more replies from other forum members latter.

Here's a good read by our own @Brian  Attached screen shot of my restore points.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-10-enable-create-system-restore/

Capture25.JPG

Hi @hex40 I did a little more research and found that is is a problem for a lot of users! Going to do more research and see if I can find a answer! Here's what I came up with! I don't know if this is some thing new with W10 and updates, but maybe updates are being created differently with W10!

Let me know what you think!

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/19926-no-automatic-restore-points-created.html

Here's insert taken from the above link!

From my understanding Windows 10 will automatically create a System Restore point if there is none earlier than seven days. So if five days past from a point you manually created, and a system update comes in, there will not be an auto created point since it's not longer than seven days. I thought mine wasn't working either when system updates came in as I would manually create one everyday, but I stopped that, and let a week go by, and now the last two updates that came in an auto point was created.

hex40 here. That may be redundant but I am still learning to use the forum.

Just to be sure I was not seeing an anomaly on my pre-installed laptop, I am

adding this update.

I run a Win-7 Pro system for my production. Last week, I upgraded it with the

free download. Then I made an image copy for the future and reloaded my Win-7

Pro production system.

I just completed restoring Win-10 Pro to my Lenovo ThinkCentre all-in-one

desktop. I have Win-10 Pro at version 10 Build 10240. I went through the same

set up with system protection and tested my ability to create a restore point and

to restore back behind it. All worked okay. Then I turned loose the updates by

turning off "metered connection". The updates were installed but no restore

point was created.

I just read Holdum333's response and will wait for at least a week to see if

an automatic restore point is created. Then, I will wait for the week you mention

and continue testing from there.

Thank you,

Hi! @hex40 Thank you for your update. Keep us informed. I see you had  W7 Pro and upgraded to w10 Pro. That's different then mine.

I was running W7 Home and upgraded to W10 Home. I have no choice but to except the updates. Maybe other forum members will reply latter.;)

I really prefer creating a back up image like you stated you have done and not rely on restore points . I use a 3rd party image program called Macrium Reflect. It has never let me down and I have been using it for several years.

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for this helpful thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked for updates a little while ago and found there were two updates waiting.

I verified that I still had no restore points.

I then turned "metered connection" off

A cumulative update (kb3176495) and a malicious software removal tool update (kb890830) installed.successfully.

I checked and found that a restore point  had been created.

I also backed up my hard drive (image copy) using a subset of Acronis that was supplied by Seagate because I bought their external disk.

Thanks to HOLDUM333 for your tip.

Yes you can create manual restore points in two situations, I believe.

FIRST - if you are not attached via wi-fi, you never know when updates will happen, so you can create a restore point each night before final shutdown. Then, if a bad update is

installed the next day, you can restore.

SECOND - If you are wi-fi attached and have "METERED CONNECTION" turned on, you can do a "CHECK FOR UPDATES" each morning. If updates are found, you can create a restore point before turning "METERED CONNECTION" off.

However, it would be so much simpler if we did not have to concern ourselves and could just depend on the big "M" to create the restore point like they did before Win-8.

Archived