• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Windows 10 Activation

Guest Johnny45

Guest Johnny45

I am getting a message telling me I have to activate windows 10 before April, I go to the activation section in settings, put in the key and it is sent back as an error. Windows 10 was uploaded from Windows 8 before Nov 15 last year. Any one help please. Went on to Microsoft chat by the way and first guy could not help, wanted to transfer me to another Tech, that was going to cost money for what the first guy should have been able to answer. heaven help us Microsoft how far do you intend to go with this B.S.    Johnny

• 2 weeks later...

Give this a try:

Enter one of the following keys depending on the edition you have installed. Make sure you enter the right product key:

Win 10 Home: YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
     Win 10 Pro: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click Next to Activate

Restart your computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well how did you install Windows 10. Did you do an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1? If you did the activation is done by a process called Digital entitlement. Which basically it verified that the OS your upgrading from 7 or 8.1 is authentic and then it records your PC information on MS's server.  The in the newer builds instead of requiring a in place upgrade you could do a clean install of Windows 10 and enter the Key for the OS your upgrading to begin the digital entitlement process. If you have a OS that isn't eligble for the upgrade then you have to buy Windows 10 either OEM or retail and the full version comes with a key.

The upgrade doesn't use a Windows 10 key it uses Digital Entitlement. You can download and create a DVD or USB  to do a clean install after you completed the digital entitlement process.  Windows 10 only uses a WIndows 10 key on the full install (non-upgrade version) either OEM or Retail. 

Guest james1500
To use your Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 product key to activate Windows 10:
  1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Activation.
  2. Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character product key.
Edited by james1500
This file and the links don't have anything to do with the topic