• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Microsoft launches the new Windows 10 preview build 9879

Brian Burgess

Microsoft launched a new build for Windows 10 Technical Preview that testers can download now. This build number is 9879 and it offers some noteworthy changes and new features. The company says several of these changes were directly influenced by Windows Insider program user feedback.

For more, check out our article for more information: http://www.groovypost.com/news/windows-10-technical-preview-9879/

Guest Paulhogan

My comment November 14th, that ending seems a bit strange, it doesn't sound like me. I updated to build 9879, but the missing OneDrive link has confused me, well there is a folder in users, but how do files get uploaded? I have gone back to build 9860, and will try again when the slow update is available, and I will take more care on what I click.

Paul.

i don't understand by that article how to exactly get to this download???

Like I stated in the article:

"To see the new build you will need to have the setting for how quick you see new builds to Fast. If it’s set to Slow you won’t see it, but you can change it to Fast, exit out of Update & Recovery and go back in."

It does an inplace upgrade, so you will already need to be running the previous version of Windows 10.

Or, you can download the full ISO from the Windows Evaluation Center:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-technical-preview-for-enterprise

I believe that new builds are automatically installed on updates. I went ahead and installed build 9879 before it was ready (or at least that's my theory). As a result my computer started to freeze and I restored back to build 9841. Everything is ok now and I'm going to wait for microsoft to install the new builds. In the meantime I bought a new mouse because I thought it was a mouse problem. So now I have a new mouse but it seems to be a better one.

Can someone tell me I'm all wrong or that I'm all right with this. Maybe I should have just stayed with Windows 8.1, which I like very much. I really cannot understand all the complaints about 8.1 except that people are too lazy to learn a new system.

Guest Paulhogan

I started with build 9860, and all was working well, until I had a problem with my hard drive after upgrade to 9879. I do not think this problem was caused by the system, but by me messing with my double drive (Raid 0) trying to separate them. The discs were fixed and I re-installed from an ISO, beginning as you did with build 9841, but I carried on to build 9860 and I waited for the slow update to build 9879 which I installed yesterday. So far so good. Even the change to OneDrive I am beginning to grasp.

I also liked Windows 8.1, although I think Windows 10 will be even better. I cannot talk in technical terms, just as a computer user. I find it all very interesting.

I started with build 9860, and all was working well, until I had a problem with my hard drive after upgrade to 9879. I do not think this problem was caused by the system, but by me messing with my double drive (Raid 0) trying to separate them. The discs were fixed and I re-installed from an ISO, beginning as you did with build 9841, but I carried on to build 9860 and I waited for the slow update to build 9879 which I installed yesterday. So far so good. Even the change to OneDrive I am beginning to grasp.

I also liked Windows 8.1, although I think Windows 10 will be even better. I cannot talk in technical terms, just as a computer user. I find it all very interesting.

Paul - did you install Windows 10 on your main box or just on a test box?

Guest Paulhogan

Steve.

I installed it on my main computer, I have all personal files backed up so I had nothing to lose, time of course, if I have to do a clean install as I did because of my drive. So I am with it now, for better or for worse, so far it is for better, I hope it continues that way I feel very happy with it. I had a surprise this morning a setting panel popped up with OneDrive settings, how or where it came from I do not know, I could choose what folders or files I wanted on my desktop from OneDrive, which I have done, and it is downloading now, just like Windows 8.1. The only file I had from OneDrive was the camera roll, other folders from OneDrive were in Local Disc C users Paul OneDrive but they were empty. I tried to find out how to down files but I couldn't.

Then like magic up popped the settings panel, must have been on a time delay or something.

I will keep in touch with any other happenings.

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ottis138

I am on Build 9879. Is there anyone else who has come across a problem installing the Server Manager feature? Any possible solutions or do I have to wait on Microsoft?

Archived