• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Headphone plugin does not disconnect external speakers

aldago

I'm using 64bit Windows 10 Pro on a Dell Optiplex computer. I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate. I used to be able to watch videos using my headphone which upon insertion would disconnect the external speakers and sound would come through the headphone. Since I upgraded to Win 10 I have to go into playback devices and make headphones the default. Then when I'm finished I have to reverse the procedure to hear through the external speakers. Is there a resolution?

Thanks for your reply but it would seem that it's just as much trouble to use the switch as to use playback devices. I've been watching videos with Windows forever and in all the versions up to 8.1 I've had no problem with inserting the headphone jack and getting the audio to switch from the external speakers and the reverse happening when the headphones were removed. I'm just missing the appropriate setting. But, thanks again.

• 1 year later...

Follow these steps: 

1. Press Win+X (Windows logo key and X key)  at the same time.

2. Select Control Panel in the pop-up menu. 
3. View by “Category” and click on Hardware & Sound.
4. Click on Sound.
5. Select Headphones and click Set default button at the bottom.
In some cases, there is no headphone option alone but Speakers/Headphone. If that’s your case, select that and click Set default button at the bottom.
5. Click OK button.

Archived