• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Microsoft Released a New Windows 10 Build (9860) Includes Notification Center

Brian Burgess

Microsoft announced on its Blogging Windows site that it is rolling out its first new build of Windows 10 to testers in the Windows Insider Program.

The new build should roll out to you automatically via Windows Update. But if you don't want to wait, go to PC Settings > Update and Rceovery > Preview Builds and click Check Now to get it. It will take several minutes to download.

439zl080cqzv.png

Microsoft touts over 7,000 improvements and fixes, but the main thing you'll notice is Action Center (a Notification Center like on Windows Phone 8.1)

didc3pbldg5e.png

While Action Center has been a built-in feature for previous versions of Windows, this is essentially the Action Center you see for Notifications in Windows Phone 8.1.

According to Microsoft:

"So with this build, we’re bringing “Action Center” from Windows Phone over to the PC as the place where you can see and follow up on all actionable items. This build is focused ONLY on enabling basic notifications – quick actions and cleaner UI will come later. You’ll see notifications from the system and apps – from new emails and invites to IMs, Facebook posts and more – all in one place, so you don’t miss a thing. Click on the new Action Center icon in the notification area of your taskbar to check it out."

Guest Paulhogan

I have had the time to play around in general, and in doing so I have had a few problems, probably just caused by me, as I am not not very technical minded. So the fist thing that has impressed me very much is the recovery system, it has done a great job for me, three or four times. Actual new features I haven't paid much attention to, I am using my computer just as if it was a full release and not a technical preview, I know that is against all advice, but all personal things are backed up. So I jumped in the deep end, and enjoying it. At the moment I have all the apps installed that I used before, and for the last two days it's looking good, some problems of course, but it gets better all the time. ( Having said that perhaps I might get another, there is a problem starting your system we are trying to repair.) Anything special happens I will let you know.

@Paulhogan‌ You are a brave man...lol. Actually, I have several extra computers that I have installed it on, and am using them as if they were my main box...but I haven't put it on my Main Box yet...

Good to know you have all of your data backed up. That is the single most important thing that every computer user forgets to do, until it's too late.

What recovery system feature are you speaking of? It has File history restore points in it's own tab in explorer...similar to Server 2003 and higher, and Windows 7 and up (I think that is the correct range) anyway, it allows you to easily restore a file from a restore point, or from the recently introduced File History feature in Windows 8.x.

Of course PC Reset and Refresh are awesome improvements as well that were intro'd in Windows 8.

Keep it up and good luck!

Archived