• Welcome to Windows10Forum.com, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers. Using this forum is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Click here to Register a free account now and JOIN the discussion!

hippie

how to untar/decompress....

I am not very computer literate so please excuse me if this is in the wrong forum or is simply stupid. I have been attempting to download a file that is in .tar.gz format. I have tried about 10 programs but cannot get past the first step but have read that it can be done in Windows 10 which is what my computer has. Would some one be so kind as to explain what I have to do.  Thank you.

You could post a link to where you downloaded it from so I or others could download it & try to extract it.

And then explain to you how it was done. :)

Well, from the last time I posted is 10 days and I've been working about 5-6 hours a day but still failed to figure anything out!  Below are some I would like to have opened. Most were .tar.gz however I did manage to get them into .kmz format.

On a side note, here is what I've been attempting to download. https://maps.ngdc.noaa.gov/viewers/northeast_ocm/   I need the area off Ocean City, Md, north to just above the De state line and south to just above the Va. state line.  When you go to this site, please click out of everything and then click onto BAG Color Shaded Relief Imagery.  Also these will be in .tar.gz format and will also need to be uncompressed.   Thank you.

7z1801.exe

bag_bathymetry.kmz

multibeam_mosaic_hillshade.kmz

ngdc_order_2018-02-15T14_10_00.349Z (1).tar.gz

Squid, I checked the sites you listed and have already tried them all. I can only assume I am an idiot for not having the brains to accomplish this simple task. I will not bother you again and thanks for the advice, Bob

slick333, thanks for the link. I had tried it before but I gave it another try. I still can't get anything to work!  Thank you  to everyone for your help, Bob