• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Black screen Updating Windows 1607 to 1703 or 1709

Help have tried most of the T/S to fix black screen. And sign on computer screen goes black have tried safe mode same thing happens cannot get past test manager device manager control alt delete will give me task manager but nothing else  cannot get to device manager to disable display if that’s the problem I am using TVI external display card version 1607 work fine what happen after this update I have an aces or additional display on 216 GB memory it’s An i7 desktop.

Btw after trying most of the fixes,went back to previous version of Window was 10. It gave me the latest version ver 1709.

Do not know why it finally fixed the update.  Of course the update was a clean install which removed most of my apps. But I am happy to be finally able to have the latest Windows1 Pro.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/25/2018 at 11:04 PM, Brian Burgess said:

@Joeanddani

Check out our article on how to fix a Black Screen on Windows 10:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-black-screen-windows-10/

Hopefully, you'll find something there to help fix the problem. Let us know how things go!

I updated to new win 10 (April update). Came back couple hours later with black screen and disk light going wild.  Figured it must be still installing, left house still doing same thing 4hours later.  Your win key+p fixed problem didn’t even get any options login screen popped up all is good thanks.  Microsoft was no help.  

Cheer Jim

experance is a hard teacher she gives the test first then the lesson-unknown

• 4 years later...

If you are experiencing a black screen while updating Windows 10 version 1607 to version 1703 or 1709, try the following solutions:

Disconnect any external devices such as printers, scanners, or USB drives that are not necessary for the update process.

Check if there are any pending updates for device drivers, especially for the graphics card. If there are, install them before attempting the update.

Disconnect any external monitors or displays that are connected to your computer.

Boot into Safe Mode and attempt the update. To do this, restart your computer and press the F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears. From here, select Safe Mode and attempt the update again.

Disable any third-party antivirus or security software before attempting the update. These programs may interfere with the update process and cause errors.

If none of these solutions work, try performing a clean boot by disabling all non-Microsoft services and startup items. This will help isolate any third-party programs that may be causing the black screen issue.

If all else fails, you may need to perform a clean install of Windows 10 version 1703 or 1709. This will erase all your data and programs, so make sure to back up your important files before proceeding.

Greetings,
Peter