• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

'Restart' function ceased after replacement motherboard!

Tsunchke

Hi, everyone, I hope someone out there can help a very frustrated old fart . . . . .

I had to send my 1 yr old laptop back to the tailor-made builders here in UK and they replaced the motherboard and upated the BIOS.   All was well for a few days and then I had to perform a restart after a glitch with my email client.    

Restart resulted in the screen logo, then about 2 secs. of the wirling dots, then nothing!!   Black screen and no response.   Had to shut down and then start up again.   Tried it again, same result.  

Contacted PC company - 'nothing to do with our hardware, must be Win 10 . . . . .'  very helpful . . . . .  

Nothing on the web anywhere about this and MS Answer Desk could not be understood [we don't come across Pacific accents here and they are v. hard to understand, unfortunately].  

Can anyone suggest a fix, please? 

Yours in hope . . . . 

Cheers, Tsunchke

• 1 month later...

I always go back to "What changed". And that change was the motherboard...

The problem is, if you ask the PC tech to fix it, he will probably just say - reinstall Windows and see if that fixes it. If not, will replace the MB again.

So - that's probably your next step. I would probably do a System Restore as a first option before running a "Reset this PC" from Settings > Recovery menu.

Keep us updated!

Archived