• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Link Main-Profile from small SSD to large HDD make profile defunct

tenIium

Hello,

my SSD is only 128 GB. Not enough to work with a lot of files.

Like on Windows 7 before, I tried to "move" my main user profile from my small SSD to my larger HDD.

so I did this way:

- Under another profile doing this......
- copy this special profile to the HDD - here I use FastCopy with ACL option, which cioy all file permissions.
- create with junction or mklink from C:\Users\Base (SSD) to D:\Users\Base (HDD)
- and now login again with the base profile

This has never been a problem with Windows 7 (and also with previous versions).

But since Windows 10 (probably also 8) the start menu of the taskbar stuck.

In Process Explorer or Task Manager you can see that a backgroundTaskHost.exe is permanently restarting.

And the CPU load increases dramatically. After a while the system also reports that such work is not possible and I have to log off again.

Other applications I started with some tricks here and they worked fine.

I'm sure I am not the only person on this planet who use a SSD and a HDD in one computer.

And I'm also sure, there are a lot of users who prefer to safe profile-Data to a bigger and more writable HDD.
(surfing with firefox, make a lot of filewrite and so on, and some Video und Pictures Folders increase a lot of the years (to much for most small SSDs))

a little bit more details how I did it:

FastCopy (Source: https://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en) benutzt um das Profile komplett zu Clonen (ACL aktiv um auch die Berechtigung 1:1 zu übernehmen)

after creating profile and switch back to a admin/setup-profile to copy with FastCopy the new Profile

cmd...

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation.

C:\>cd Users

C:\Users>ren Base Base.org

C:\Users>junction Base D:\Users\Base

Junction v1.07 - Creates and lists directory links
Copyright (C) 2005-2016 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Created: C:\Users\Base
Targetted at: D:\Users\Base

My preferred method would have been to create a User folder on the hard disk, then individually redirect each personal folder (Documents, Music, Pictures etc) from the properties of the folder > Location tab > Move. This is cleaner method than actually moving the user folder itself. You are gonna have problems especially with future feature updates not being able to find the user folder.

6 hours ago, andre said:

My preferred method would have been to create a User folder on the hard disk, then individually redirect each personal folder (Documents, Music, Pictures etc) from the properties of the folder > Location tab > Move. This is cleaner method than actually moving the user folder itself. You are gonna have problems especially with future feature updates not being able to find the user folder.

Hey Andre.

I did that in the past. And with last Fall Update, Windows desiabled this profile and just created a new profile. I don't know why.  Now I have to create all this 20 Junctions-Links again.

It's so much work now. I wish me the good old Windows 7 back! ;-)

Greetings

Archived