• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

After recovery no operating system on computer.

I had a ASUS computer that after every Microsoft 10 update it took many reboots to get working again, last update it just could not be brought to life.

I used the recovery disks that wipe the HD and it returned the computer to the command line on screen and asks for system boot disk, this tells me i need a copy of win 10 to reinstall the OS on computer as Win had been downloaded on the ASUS that had Win8.

I guess this means i have to buy a copy of Win10 am i correct?

I had another smaller ASUS that i needed to use the recovery disks on and it reverted to Win7 i am guessing the old Win7 OS had been stored when Win10 installed, i am thinking i had removed the old OS on my ASUS computer that is now needing an OS to be installed.

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

All you need to do is download and perform a clean install of Windows 10.

Step 1: See instructions how to download, create a bootable copy, then perform a clean install:

Windows 10 Creators Update Version 1703 ISO Files Now Available for Download

Step 2:

How to Perform a Clean Install of Windows 10 - groovyPost

12 minutes ago, andre said:

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

All you need to do is download and perform a clean install of Windows 10.

Step 1: See instructions how to download, create a bootable copy, then perform a clean install:

Windows 10 Creators Update Version 1703 ISO Files Now Available for Download

Step 2:

How to Perform a Clean Install of Windows 10 - groovyPost

As i said i tried everything before contacting Microsoft, i had reinstalled Win8 from the disks i had bought to replace win7 so i was asked for product key when trying to get Win10 working, lady at Microsoft took control of my computer and after a few trys got a product key to get Win working.

Thanks for your reply your the only one so far on this forum to reply, i really got a lot of replies on the www.10forums.com many tried and one poster really got on my nerves just told me i was wrong and did not need Microsoft to get product key.

Archived