• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

How do I add a comment in the Explorer COMMENT column

bromberg

Hi @bromberg - The COMMENT column is just a metadata field exposed by Windows in the event an application or device uses it to store data. Kinda like "Date Modified" or "Date Created" or "Date Taken". 

The Windows OS and most apps will update the metadata "Date Modified" each time they update a file. However, only a Camera will update the metadata fields on a file like "Date Taken" or "ISO setting" etc...

So back tot he COMMENTS metadata field, Microsoft is just making it available in the event an application or device wants to populate it with data. In other words, ignore it.

5 hours ago, Steve K. said:

Hi @bromberg - The COMMENT column is just a metadata field exposed by Windows in the event an application or device uses it to store data. Kinda like "Date Modified" or "Date Created" or "Date Taken". 

The Windows OS and most apps will update the metadata "Date Modified" each time they update a file. However, only a Camera will update the metadata fields on a file like "Date Taken" or "ISO setting" etc...

So back tot he COMMENTS metadata field, Microsoft is just making it available in the event an application or device wants to populate it with data. In other words, ignore it.

I want to be able to add my own personal comment (as a memory jogger about the file) so I do not want to ignore it - I want to use it!
I understand that certain file types can update the COMMENT column; do you know where I may find the list of file types that allows for this?

Thanks for your reply,
Dan

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2016 at 7:06 PM, bromberg said:

I understand that certain file types can update the COMMENT column; do you know where I may find the list of file types that allows for this?

Well, to clarify, only certain Apps can edit various meta data fields on files, such as the COMMENT column. For Windows, you can just use Windows Explorer.

Just open Windows Explorer, find the file, Right Click the file and click Properties. Click on the Details Tab. Scroll down to the Comment filed and click in Value to edit. Type away! 

Be sure to click OK when done.

• 1 month later...

Archived