• Welcome to Windows10Forum.com, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers. Using this forum is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Click here to Register a free account now and JOIN the discussion!

bromberg

How do I add a comment in the Explorer COMMENT column

WIndows allows me to add a column called COMMENT in the File Explorer yet it is unclear how I can actually add text next to a file or folder to describe it.
If this cannot be done then what is the purpose of the COMMENT column in File Explorer?

Thanks,
Dan

Hi @bromberg - The COMMENT column is just a metadata field exposed by Windows in the event an application or device uses it to store data. Kinda like "Date Modified" or "Date Created" or "Date Taken". 

The Windows OS and most apps will update the metadata "Date Modified" each time they update a file. However, only a Camera will update the metadata fields on a file like "Date Taken" or "ISO setting" etc...

So back tot he COMMENTS metadata field, Microsoft is just making it available in the event an application or device wants to populate it with data. In other words, ignore it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Steve K. said:

Hi @bromberg - The COMMENT column is just a metadata field exposed by Windows in the event an application or device uses it to store data. Kinda like "Date Modified" or "Date Created" or "Date Taken". 

The Windows OS and most apps will update the metadata "Date Modified" each time they update a file. However, only a Camera will update the metadata fields on a file like "Date Taken" or "ISO setting" etc...

So back tot he COMMENTS metadata field, Microsoft is just making it available in the event an application or device wants to populate it with data. In other words, ignore it.

I want to be able to add my own personal comment (as a memory jogger about the file) so I do not want to ignore it - I want to use it!
I understand that certain file types can update the COMMENT column; do you know where I may find the list of file types that allows for this?

Thanks for your reply,
Dan

On 11/4/2016 at 7:06 PM, bromberg said:

I understand that certain file types can update the COMMENT column; do you know where I may find the list of file types that allows for this?

Well, to clarify, only certain Apps can edit various meta data fields on files, such as the COMMENT column. For Windows, you can just use Windows Explorer.

Just open Windows Explorer, find the file, Right Click the file and click Properties. Click on the Details Tab. Scroll down to the Comment filed and click in Value to edit. Type away! 

Be sure to click OK when done.

Steve,
When you say "Type away!" in the DETAILS tab, there is no COMMENT field to click on (at least this is the case for VISTA).
Should there be a COMMENT field for all file types (txt, pdf,mp3,...etc...) ?
Thanks,
Dan

On 11/24/2016 at 1:24 AM, bromberg said:

at least this is the case for VISTA

Hi @bromberg

Vista.... That I cannot say. I've been a long long time... For windows 10, that's what I'm getting. But like I said, can't say what you might find on Vista.