• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Microsoft Print to PDF!

holdum333

Hi there! I'm wondering if we could get a blog on how to use the new w10 Printers. There are two new printers added to my W10 anniversary. They are Microsoft Print to PDF and Microsoft XPS Document Writer. A blog about these would be appreciated by this old country boy!;)

If any member knows about them and how they work, please explain what they do! It says I have the Print to PDK installed??

Thanks!

Capture25.JPG

Capture26.JPG

21 hours ago, holdum333 said:

Hi! OK I clicked on a picture and it made it a PDF and sent it to my documents. I'm a little slow some times. What good did that do??

PDF format has been used for years, particularly in business. As I understand it, it makes a file which contains fonts and formatting to ensure the file displays the same on another machine which may not contain the same fonts and formatting. Basically it makes documents, and similar, consistent across different machines.

21 hours ago, holdum333 said:

In other words! What good is this feature!!:ph34r: Why does MS call it a printer??

It's not a real printer, more virtual, it's a driver to package the PDF into a standard output. Here's a pic from my machine which has Foxit PDF installed. It too has a Foxit PDF virtual printer driver.

2016-08-31_104121.jpg

Heya @gus Thanks for your post my friend. I had Foxit one time. Don't remember why I stopped using it. It's starting to sink in this old country boy's head and I'm going to do some more playing around with it. I think you are saying this would be a good way to send a document to a friend! Some of things I'm still learning from users like yourself. Some things I once knew but have just plain forgotten!

I just created the PDF with the MS printer. It went to my documents. From there I was able to open it with internet Explorer. Am I getting close to understanding this my friend?;)

May I ask why so many things are grayed out in your screen shot!;)

Maybe another member, or quest will learn all this along with me!xD

Thanks gus!

Here's Jpeg file converted to a PDF file. Who's say you can't teach a old dog new tricks!;) I think I did it right! 41kb difference!

Can you open my PDF file I created with MS Print to PDF; with Adobe or Internet Explorer? Yes I learned some thing new today.

Thank you! @gus You are appreciated my friend and a asset to the forum! So you already knew how to do this. Well I didn't, but I do now. I just need to remember how I did this. This is my thread that I created here, so surely I can have a little fun with it and not get hollered at for being a little off topic! LOL!

old car.pdf

1910Ford.jpg

Archived