• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

How to retrieve win 8 product key for activation

Go to solution Solved by holdum333,

Hi all,

I would like to format a laptop but the windows came with pre-installed win 8 and could not get the product key from the service centre neither the reseller. Appreciate that you guys can guide me to retrieve the product key from the laptop.

If i would like to install win 10 after format, can I use the win 8 product key for activation? I understand that microsoft has stopped the free upgrade of win 10 and previously i use the default product key provided by microsoft in their website but it turned my windows 10 to an inactivated version.

• Upvote 1

• Solution

Hi! @babylis I don't know way your not getting a reply! Here's a link and a reply by @adacosta . I hope this helps! You may get more answers from other forum members latter!;)I hesitated to answer your post and was waiting for  a W8 user to answer! Maybe no one is answering because this is W10 help forum??

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/how-can-i-find-my-windows-8-product-key-if-it-came/a2dbcf1f-97b2-48a7-be57-56d1401c4e25?auth=1

With Windows 8, Microsoft has changed from stickers that have the product key that the user has to type in when installing the operating system to new BIOS embedded product keys. The idea is that by eliminating the sticker, you eliminate one of the easier ways for nefarious users to get a legitimate product key. Eliminating the product key sticker also removes any worry that the sticker might get damaged while at the same time eliminating the long and irritating process of typing in various letters and numbers when installing the operating system.

If the user has to reinstall the operating system on a machine that came with Windows 8, the installation process automatically grabs the software product key from the motherboard BIOS with no input from the user. This means that those familiar Windows product key stickers will no longer appear on the Windows 8 computers.

Edited by holdum333
  • Upvote 1