• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

snipping tool

Hi friend! You say w10 was forced on you, so I'm assuming you up graded to W10 with the windows updates. I usually recommend to try the repair feature in windows 10 first. There are several things you can try when W10 isn't working like you want it to. The first thing I would try is the W10 repair feature.

I would also run these commands in the command prompt. If none of this helps, post back and we can try a in-place-repair-upgrade.

Please run these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

Hi! Thanks for your PM! Here's some info for you! Hoping sfc will fix your issue. sfc /scannow would be the easy fix. Windows 10 has made this much better then it was in other windows versions IMHO

The sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
The %WinDir% placeholder represents the Windows operating system folder. For example, C:\Windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

PS Welcome to the forum. Glad to see a little action here!

holdum333

Hi! Got your PM! It's better that we discus all this on the forum. Please post every thing you have done. We will need to have a sfc /scannow  that looks like the one I posted. Some times the scan will have to be ran three times before all the files are fixed. You said the snipping tool was better??

If we can't fix all the files this way, we may need to do a in-place-repair-upgrade, or even a clean install. If we can't fix all the file violations;there will be other problems with your PC. I'll watch for your reply. Please post as much information as you can and screen shots will help if the sniping tool works.

You would use /CheckHealth to only check whether the image has been flagged as corrupted by a failed process and whether the corruption can be repaired. This is just a quick way to see if corruption currently exists, and to inform you if there is corruption. This does not fix anything or create a log. This will finish running almost instantly.

A) In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below!

arrow.png Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Capture16.JPG

IMHO Your file system is corrupted. It can be fixed with the link my Shawn Brink that I posted; but the easiest why to fix this is with a in-place-repair upgrade.

I can't see what your putting in the command prompt. The best way is to copy and paste the commands. You should be able to do a in-place-repair-upgrade and only lose the windows up dates. I have done it before and it works well. You will need to make the decision. It's very important that your file system is healthy and not corrupted. You should back up all your important data before doing the in-place-repair-upgrade. There are other options- Refresh and Reset are two!

You will have to decide what you want to do.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

You are going to wish that Farmers Friend hadn't turned up!  Part of the problem is that I am 80 and most of the jargon is beyond me!  As I said I used the sfc scan 4 times and then entered various suggestions that you made with no success at all.  I may have to go to our local computer firm and get it sorted.  I didn't feel like paying money to correct a fault in a programme, W10, that was forced onto me, I was unable to stop the download when it arrived!

5 minutes ago, farmers friend said:

You are going to wish that Farmers Friend hadn't turned up!  Part of the problem is that I am 80 and most of the jargon is beyond me!  As I said I used the sfc scan 4 times and then entered various suggestions that you made with no success at all.  I may have to go to our local computer firm and get it sorted.  I didn't feel like paying money to correct a fault in a programme, W10, that was forced onto me, I was unable to stop the download when it arrived!

Hi my friend! I'm 78 years old and self taught. I will stay with you as long as you want my suggestions. My recommendation at this time would be a in-place-repair-upgrade.

The suggestions that I made should have fixed your file corruption. I don't know what you saw while using the command prompt or why we couldn't fix the files.

I would never wish that you hadn't turned up and I have enjoyed sharing these things. I will understand if you don't want to continue. I wish you the very best my friend!

Gary!

HI my fiend! I'm thinking that a local repair shop would do the in-place-repair-upgrade for a small fee; when ever you think you need to do that. I wish you were close. I would do it for free.

I recommend doing the repair upgrade because having corrupted files will cause other problems.

If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash.

I think that I will have to get it done locally.  I have too much in the laptop to risk losing it all by pressing the wrong button!  I am a semi-retired farmer and still do outdoor work also like you I am self taught but not to the same standard.  Thank you very much for all your help and suggestions it is a nice feeling to have help from somewhere in the world from a stranger, Gary  with best wishes from Simon 

My pleasure Simon. I wish you were closer. I would teach you how to create back up images of your Operating System and you would never have to worry again.

The in-place repair upgrade should work, but I can not guarantee that; and I would really hate it if you lost all your farming records.

I live in a retirement village in Oklahoma 300+ seniors. I help them with their printers and PCs. I never charge for my labor. I do get lots of pies, cakes and cobblers for my labor of love. I'm very popular here. Take a tour of my village my new friend!

http://www.goldenoaks.com/aboutus.html

Hi Simon! I'm a 12 year cancer survivor and give up is not in my vocabulary. Lets try one more command in command prompt and see what you get. Then I will not bother you further!

Copy and paste this command!

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1

Hi! For anyone following this thread; I have successfully completed the Dism commands. I'm now able to run sfc /scannow and no file violations are found. Here's screen shot of the last command prompt I ran. I hope this helps someone here on the forum. I'm trying very hard to make a good hand here!LOL

I would like to give my best regards to Shawn Brink for his excellent tutorial on Dism!

Here's the command I ran!

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Capture17.JPG

Archived