• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Critical Error Start Menu isn't wortking

Guest Weyoun7

Guest Weyoun7

This error appeared this morning. The start menu is inoperable.

I tried the Powershell and registry "fixes" suggested elsewhere with no success.

Dell XPS870, 24 GB RAM, Windows 10 (a clean Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 install)

Any idea how to make Windows 10 Start Menu work again?

Guest Weyoun7

Since there seems to be no fix, I guess that I had better revert to Windows 8.1 since "you will have one month after upgrading to revert back to the previous version of Windows on your device" according to Microsoft.

I had that problem (also a Dell machine) when I upgraded from 8.1 to W 10. The start menu would not come up and the monitor just had a continual blink on it. The problem was Norton Security. Uninstalled Norton, and everything was fine then. Installed latest version of Norton afterwards and it is still running fine today. Further research on Google seems to have several people with the same problem and cause seems to point to their anti virus program.. Suggest shutting down the anti virus program via safe mode and try it again.. Also, did you try a system restore prior to the problem?

Archived