• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Howdy folks. New to this forum so bear with me.

I'm building a new pc and using a 120gb ssd from the old one. Ran Win 10 on old machine and ssd. Formatted ssd and installed in new pc. Bought new digital copy of Win 10 home 64 bit OEM and installed on ssd in new machine. Can't activate with new key that came with digital download. Error Code: 0xC004C003. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

WilBern>

• 2 weeks later...

@WilBern

Welcome aboard! If you're using a digital license I would check out the following article:

https://www.groovypost.com/how-to-use-digital-license-to-manage-and-activate-windows-10-anniversary-update-licenses/

Also, this is what Microsoft says about the error you're getting (I'm thinking you're looking at the second issue about the clean install):

• You entered a product key that can't be used to activate Windows. You'll need to enter a different product key or buy a new product key.
  • You performed a clean installation of Windows 10 instead of first upgrading from your previous version of Windows. To fix this, go back to your previous version of Windows, make sure the previous version is activated, and then upgrade to Windows 10.
  • You upgraded to Windows 10, but the activation servers were busy. If you upgraded from an activated copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, your copy of Windows 10 will be automatically activated, or you can wait a while and then select Activate.
  • You upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, but Windows 10 isn't activated after a reinstall. Your copy of Windows 10 should automatically be activated so long as you didn't make any significant hardware changes to your device (such as replacing the hard drive or motherboard)

If none of that helps, you can activate it via Microsoft Chat Support -- just explain your set up:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/activate-windows-10-license-microsoft-support/

Archived