• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Duplicated saving of files to One Drive

Janner

I have just had to go back to factory settings.   My documents and photos were backed up to an external drive and so it was easy to restore them to my laptop using File History. However I now find that the items now appear both in One Drive and This PC.   On both the individual files are mostly marked with a white  cross in a red circle but some are shown with a white tick in a green circle. I have received an email saying that One Drive free space is full and that I need to purchase additional storage,   If I try to delete an item from either One Drive or This PC it disappears from both.   I do not want to use One Drive.   How can I delete the files now held in it without also deleting them from This PC, and how can I stop this happening again.  Any advice will be very welcome.   As must be very obvious I am rather aged and computer illiterate.  

Hi @Janner - The files sounds like they are stored in your OneDrive folder. That's why they are trying to sync up to OneDrive.

Two things you can do.

1 - Just move the files outside of your OneDrive folder and this will stop them from trying to SYNC up to OneDrive.

2 - Uninstall OneDrive. 

Once that's done, you should be able to login to OneDrive and delete the files without having that action SYNC back down to your desktop.

Let me know if you get this fixed!

Thanks

Archived