• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Fresh install Win 10 locked up

Tom

Decided to sell my fairly new Dell 17" laptop.  Using Recovery, I did a clean install of Win 10, including wiping the disk.  After install completed, I was being lazy and letting Cortana lead me through setup (not smart!).  Got to the internet connection; it recognized my router and I entered my password.  Windows started the verifying and connecting process - and locked up.  After hours the dots are still flowing; it is still trying to connect.  The screen is locked; no combination of key or mouse strokes will release or advance or kill the screen.  Shut power down, even for a week.  Unplugged and re-powered the router.  By-passed the router with a direct Ethernet connection.  Still locked!  Still trying to connect.

Any ideas

Please!

On 7/16/2017 at 10:16 PM, Tom said:

Shut power down, even for a week.  Unplugged and re-powered the router.  By-passed the router with a direct Ethernet connection.  Still locked!  Still trying to connect.

Hi Tom - Welcome to the forum!

Now, if I were you I would just boot into safe mode and disable Cortana and disable the Network adapters. Here's an article on how-to boot into safe mode:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/boot-windows-10-safe-mode/

Hope this resolves your issue. If not, here's a few more ideas to repair it even further.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/repairing-a-broken-windows-10-installation/

Archived