• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Upgrade Windows 7 to 10 via Windows Update

If you have an extra Windows 7 system laying around, you can upgrade it to Windows 10 tech preview via Windows Update -- which is a lot easier than a clean install. Here's a look at how it's done:

http://www.gizmag.com/update-windows-7-windows-10-tech-preview-windows-update/36622/

Of course you can do this with Windows 8.1 too, but remember we're still in beta, and Win10 is NOT ready for prime time yet. Still, if you want to check out Windows 10, and get a feel for how the upgrade process will go, you can.

I installed this on a Budget Dell Vostro 220 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and 4GB of RAM, and Windows 7 Home Premium installed...I think I got it in 2009 or 2010 so it's a 5-6 year old PC. It will be interesting to see what happens with Windows 7 computer that have "issues" -- you know the kind, weird quirks and stability issues. Will those be fixed? Not to mention, not all software is going to be compatible...which is why I recommend running Upgrade Assistant first.

So say you bought a laptop in 2009 with Windows 7 installed, and want to do the upgrade...Absolutely make sure to back up ALL of your important data first.

Have fun and let us know how your experience went and if there is anything we can help you out with!

Archived