• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Path does not exist

Windynose

I recently installed an external hard drive and now it seems like my computer doesn't know what to do. In Windows 10, when I try to access a lot of my documents, I get a message that says, "Path does not exist. Check path and try again." As a non-techie, I don't know how to change the path from my original C hard drive to my Seagate External Hard Drive. Please help.

Hi @Windynose - Welcome to Windows10.help!

Whare are you using the new External Hard Drive for? Are you getting error messages from files you are storing on that external drive? 

1. In regards to your original C drive, you don't want to mess with that. The purpose of the new External Drive is just to Augment your existing storage of your C drive. 
  2. Start by assigning a drive letter to your new external drive. Personally, I recommend you give it a drive letter of P (for personal) or Z. This won't conflict with any of drives or USB drives etc.... 
  3. Once you do that, now start by MOVING all the files you want to use to the new External drive letter. 
  4. DO NOT move any apps. If you move apps, you will break them in most cases. If you want to run apps on your new drive, you need to uninstall them and reinstall them and select the new drive as the path for the app during install.

Follow these steps with your External hard drive and you should be fine in the future.

Archived