• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Windows 10 and Locky virus

HTK

I have Windows 10, made a backup on Sept 2016, on an external harddrive.

Recently got trapped with the Ransomware Locky virus, some files encrypted and no success in saving them.

I tried to run my backup drive and file, but for some unexplained reason, my current Win 10 will not/does not recognize it.

Any suggestions?

I got to one page/info box that said the external drive was not NTFS format, and yet, I have not changed the format on the desktop since upgrading to win 10. and making the backup.

• 3 weeks later...

Yikes... when you get hit with a Virus... all bets are off @HTK. You could try to plug the external drive into another machine however you risk infecting that system with the virus again.

It's possible the data on that drive is encrypted also and it's a total loss for you. 

When you go into Windows Disk Manager (Open Windows Explorer > Right Click This Computer > Manage > Disk Management) what do you see? Is the drive there and does it have a drive letter assigned?

This is a classic case for why I tell all my readers to use a cloud, offsite backup service.

My personal favorite is Crashplan. Crashplan allows you to backup unlimited amounts of data and then keep unlimited versions of each file. So even if the files get encrypted or infected with a virus and then that files is backed up, the older version of the file is still available. It's a lifesaver. 

Full write-up from our main blog here: http://www.groovypost.com/reviews/crashplan-quality-online-backup/

Sorry man, let me know how you're doing with this!

-Steve

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 12/19/2016 at 6:14 AM, EarthDude said:

Steve, thanks for the tip! Because the external hard drive to backup must be very large. What you have to offer, it is an outlet for me !

Like I said, Crashplan or Backblaze are the best options. I personally like CP better.

-S

Archived