• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Recover login password, please help

abblwol

I have an old Thinkpad laptop and recently upgraded to Windows 10.  I kinda remember setting a password at login and my hint is "me" so it has something to do with me but I cant remember for the life of me. I looked in help and support and it tells me i need a disk to reset the password? i really hope someone can help me. thanks in advance.

Hello abblwol and welcome to windows 10 help.

I don't know what the rules for password recovery assistance are here, at this forum but on most other tech boards, help with  forgotten passwords are prohibited. The reason being, we have no idea if the computer is really yours and there is no way of actually proving it while seeking online help. My apologies......

On 2016/10/2 at 2:50 PM, abblwol said:

I have an old Thinkpad laptop and recently upgraded to Windows 10.  I kinda remember setting a password at login and my hint is "me" so it has something to do with me but I cant remember for the life of me. I looked in help and support and it tells me i need a disk to reset the password? i really hope someone can help me. thanks in advance.

A quick question before we proceed.

What account are you using to login to Windows 10(Microsoft account or Local account)?

If you are using Microsoft account then refer the link below to reset password.
https://account.live.com/resetpassword.aspx

If you are using Local account insert flash drive and go to Control Panel> User Account, Click on Create password reset disk and follow the instruction.

Hope this helps.

On 2016/10/2 at 2:50 PM, abblwol said:

If you’re using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder or try some windows password recovery tool to reset your windows 10 password like Ophcrack or UUkeys windows password recovery.

http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

http://www.uukeys.com/reset-windows-10-password.html

If you’ve tried these suggestions and still can’t sign in, you’ll need to reinstall Windows.

• 1 month later...

Archived