• Welcome to Windows10Forum.com, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers. Using this forum is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Click here to Register a free account now and JOIN the discussion!

Sign in to follow this  
Dell

Windows 10 on iMac

Dell    2

Hi all

i just thought I would write my experience with Windows 10 on Mac.

Having just purchased a new iMac I did not want to install Windows on it as I did on my old one (I had to hard drives one for Mac and one for Windows ) I do not like bootcamp or virtualisation.

Anyway back to topic as it is new I did not want to open it up to install extra drive so I did a bit of research on tinternet and decided to purchase a external SSD ( Samsung 500 gig SSD USB 3 ) installed Windows 10 on it using win2go connected it to iMac booted EFI before I had blinked it had booted up,

I then installed Apple for Windows drivers re booted but noticed the Magic Mouse only had left & right click,not what was used to so a bit more Google research and noticed it was a common problem but I found a bit of software magic mouse driver,installed that Magic Mouse back to normal.

The next problem was activation I thought I would have had a problem as I had upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8 on my old Mac but as my Windows 10 license was linked to my MS account I tried my Windows 8 product key and it activated.

it boots very fast and I am very pleased with the outcome, the only thing I have to do now is install my Mercedes wis asra workshop manual.

• Upvote 1

ShockerSH    32
On 9/30/2016 at 10:26 AM, Dell said:

i just thought I would write my experience with Windows 10 on Mac

Awesome. What OS do you find that you use more? Windows of MacOS? I have both myself and these days, I can't say if I really have a preference anymore. 

On 9/30/2016 at 10:26 AM, Dell said:

decided to purchase a external SSD ( Samsung 500 gig SSD USB 3 ) installed Windows 10 on it using win2go

So what interface is being used to connect that external drive? Is it Thunderbolt or USB or what is it?

• Upvote 1

Dell    2

Hi

i use USB3 and I use Windows 10 and Mac about the same .

so far I have had no problems with Windows 10 on external SSD apart from using the new Magic Mouse 2 it was scrolling way to fast but it is sorted now using Magic Mouse utilities.

Dell

• Upvote 1

ShockerSH    32
On 10/22/2016 at 10:59 AM, Dell said:

i use USB3 and I use Windows 10 and Mac about the same

Yeah - USB3 is pretty good. Might even be as fast as eSata (might have to google that). 

I have Mac and Windows. I find that I use Mac for more non-work stuff - just surfing online... Windows is where I get my work done.

Great tips tho @Dell. Thnx for sharing.