• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Screenshots of Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9901 running in a VM

In a previous thread we talked about the leaked Windows 10 Technical Preview build 9901-- this is not official, and I don't recommend installing it over the latest official build of 9879.

After searching the dark corners of the Internet I finally found a reliable copy and am about to install it on a Virtual Machine. Will let you know how it goes, and I hope to have some screenshots of new features soon.

If you're going to install this...definitely do it on a VM or another extra PC you might have - not the one you're testing the official build of Win10 Tech Preview...which is currently 9879.

It's buggy, and I am missing several things by having this in a VM. But here are a couple of shots of new features

v26wl0851pkp.png

Cortana is going to be included in the final version, and you can play with it a bit in this build:

2y6s0fajyvcm.png

Microsoft dumped the PC in PC Settings and now it's just Settings. When you open it up though, it looks like a modern Control Panel -- would be nice if they'd add better icons for each one.

g19kcwmczhpl.png

r25hfgs1h2in.png

If you're not a fan of the search box feature, you can get rid of it by right-clicking the taskbar and disable it or just have the search icon display.

qxbayxwfejvo.png

Looks like a new item, Backup, replaces File History in this build. It includes options for both OneDrive backup (app data, settings sync) and "local backup". Once we get the official new Windows Insider build -- reportedly sometime around January 21st, this will be an interesting feature to check out.

rfel3rz9obp5.png

File History is a new feature introduced with Windows 8, but it might have been ignored by a lot of users or was to "IT-like" in its setup. This version looks like you will be able to store app data to OneDrive, and store some Windows apps on an SD card like you can on Windows Phone.

Archived