• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

CD/DVD drive won't read program discs

Guest b4ab

Hi,

The DVD drive on my Dell computer won't read discs that contain programs I want to load, or reload, since changing to Windows 10/64 from Windows 7/64. The driver will read music CDs, but not program CDs. I can't even find the program CDs when I right click on the disc drive. Instead I get a panel that looks more like Word than a disc drive. Probably one of those buttons up there, I'll bet, but I've not found it yet. Help, please.

Thanks

b4ab

I'm assuming the drivers for DVD are up to date, although I haven't checked as I only updated to Win 10 a few weeks ago. The DVD responds to music CD's, why not program CD's? As to which programs, all programs. To run a program from a CD I have to plug in an external drive I use for my netbook, then I can run the program. I'm not sure why I would want to download a program from the web when I have the CD, but that's not the problem. The problem is the driver won't respond to program CDs, which is more than a bit strange. Thanks for responding, BAB

When I open Autoplay for the CD drive and click on 'configure storage settings' I get the message, "the directory name is invalid I:\" I've seen this response previously when trying to run a program CD, but this doesn't pop up anymore when I load a program CD. Possibly a drive misadventure? Thanks, BAB

Archived