• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Windows 10 problems on new laptop

Guest almenzies

Guest almenzies

I have been helping a friend with her new laptop - an Acer. All was working well, but a problem has arisen. The task bar has emptied itself of all the apps that were on it and there seems to be no way to get them back. She also cannot access the Action Centre, and if she tries to get to Settings with a right click on the desktop, it says that there is no program associated with this app and so it cannot be opened. The Windows Start button is also dead. Can anyone help please?

Guest almenzies

She had lost the use of the Start menu, task bar and Action Centre. I tried sfc /scannow from a powershell window (via Ctrl Alt Del, Task Manager, File, Run New Task). This didn't work. I then tried Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} from a powershell window. This didn't work. My conclusion was that there was a corruption in Windows 10, so I ended up reinstalling Windows 10, by holding down the Shift key on Restart, then Troubleshoot, Reset this PC. I chose to keep her data. This all went smoothly and no data was lost. I had to reinstall some apps but it was quite painless.

Guest almenzies

I have a postscript to this.

Bizarrely, another friend who has just upgraded to Windows 10 had exactly the same problem. The thing I found that was common to both of them was that they were both using the free anti-virus Avast. I am now convinced that this was the problem. With the second friend, uninstalling Avast did the trick (not straightforward when you can't get at anything). So, the moral of the story is to uninstall Avast before you upgrade to windows 10!

I appreciate your comments - I am both female and a pensioner, so not your usual nerd :)

You know, so many issues with Windows in general and Windows 10, in particular, are anti-virus programs. It's a shame, but the free versions are usually the worst, too.

I wish every user would just allow Windows Defender to do its thing, and if you want a secondary opinion use MalwareByte's.

Also, of course, a healthy dose of common sense when online.

Archived