• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

WSL not working after update from Microsoft store

Hello I had successfully installed WSL few days ago and everything was working fine. But after the I got an update regarding WSL from Microsoft Store I updated WSL and since then it is throwing this error. I also restarted the computer and checked to make sure my Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Subsystem for Linux are ON and I found out that both of these services were already ON. still I get the same error. May I please get any guidance on this one? as I have to use WSL for my educational purpose that would be really helpful thanks

Installing, this may take a few minutes...
WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80070050
Error: 0x80070050 The file exists.

Press any key to continue...

• 11 months later...

In most cases, users are unable to use WSL because the feature was automatically disabled when they upgraded to Windows 11. The solution in this case is to manually re-enable the feature.

Step 1: Type Turn Windows Features on or off in the Start menu bar and click Open.
Step 2: Scroll down and find Windows Subsystem for Linux and check the box in front of it. Click OK to complete the changes.