• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Can't switch tabs in Microsoft Edge

N7AS

For the last few months I hvw had this problem. While in Microsoft Edge and sometimes in Firefox when I go to switch tabs nothing happens until I bring up the Task manager with Ctrl+Alt+Del. This dosen't happen all the time, but probably 75% of the time. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this behavior? 

I am running Windows 10 PRO Version 20H2

• 1 year later...

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Clear the browser cache and cookies: In both Microsoft Edge and Firefox, you can clear the cache and cookies by going to Settings or Options > Privacy and Security > Clear browsing data. Select the time range for which you want to clear data, and make sure to select "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files." Then click "Clear data" or "Clear now."
  2. Disable browser extensions: Some browser extensions can cause issues with tab switching. Try disabling all of your extensions and see if the problem persists. If the problem goes away, enable extensions one by one to identify the culprit.
  3. Disable hardware acceleration: Some users have reported that disabling hardware acceleration can resolve tab-switching issues in Microsoft Edge and Firefox. To do this, go to Settings or Options > System or General > Performance, and toggle off the option for "Use hardware acceleration when available."
  4. Update your browser and Windows 10: Make sure you have the latest version of your browser and Windows 10 installed. You can check for updates by going to Settings or Options > Update & Security > Windows Update or About Firefox/Microsoft Edge.
  5. Check for malware: Malware can sometimes interfere with browser functionality. Run a malware scan using trusted antivirus software to rule out this possibility.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you may want to try resetting your browser settings to default or reinstalling your browser.