• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Windows 10 Product ID Changed, So Invalid Product Key .?

Hello..

I did a windows 10 reinstall on my Thinkpad Laptop after upgrading it to Windows 10 Home 20H2 (Build 19042.685). I did it previously, and my windows got activated automatically, but this time its not..

I logged in with same Microsoft Account as previously, but its not activated this time..

I got the Genuine Windows with the laptop only when i bought it...

Before reinstalling i took backup of my laptop credentials with a tool..

now i noticed that my Product ID is different then of the details i have in backup text file..

I am afraid to ask, Is it possible that Product ID is changed. ?? (becoz as far i knw, its the hardware ID).

Please guide on how to reactivate my windows..

Rajat Jain

• 2 years later...

o return to Windows Home you would need to clean install Windows as there’s no downgrade option.
Try this by Andre Da Costa:
Unfortunately, clean install is your only option, you can't downgrade from Pro/Enterprise to Home. Changing the key will not work. You could try the following work around then test your luck:
Open Registry Editor (WIN + R, type regedit, hit Enter)
Browse to key HKEY_Local Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion