• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Free Upgrade to Windows 10

plcorir

I am running Windows 7 and when offered the free upgrade to Windows 10 some years ago, I tried it, but then needed to back off because of problems that developed after the upgrade. I would like to attempt it again, but would like the free upgrade. How do I go about getting this done on both a laptop and a desktop unit that I own. One is a Lenovo T530 (laptop) and the other is a Lenovo IdeaCentre B5 series (desktop). Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There was an app that checked your computer to see if an upgrade was possible is that still available? Right now everyone is pushing new computers but mine is loaded and fine hopefully upgrade to 10 and keep all my files intact and in place. asked for a call back this morning said14 minutes but that was hours ago could you please direct to the app and I will see if this unit  ASus g75v is compatible with windows 10   I believe it said that ist was compatible but I wanted to verify before I purchase the upgrade. This unit is running win 7 home 64 

• 3 years later...

To upgrade to Windows 10, follow these steps:

Check if your computer meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 10. Your computer should have at least a 1 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM for 32-bit or 2 GB of RAM for 64-bit, and 16 GB of available hard disk space for 32-bit or 20 GB for 64-bit.

Make sure that your current version of Windows is up-to-date with the latest patches and updates before attempting the upgrade.

Back up your important files and documents to an external hard drive or cloud storage service to avoid losing any data during the upgrade process.

Go to the Microsoft website and download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. This tool will help you upgrade your current version of Windows to Windows 10.

Run the Media Creation Tool and select "Upgrade this PC now" when prompted. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the upgrade process.

Once the upgrade is complete, you will need to activate your copy of Windows 10. You can do this by entering your product key if you have one, or by purchasing a new product key if necessary.

Hope This Helps,
Peter